Glacier National Park: Hidden Lake & Bears!



Glacier National Park has been my favorite place to visit in Montana and yesterday was the best day of all! We woke up early and returned to the Hidden Lake trail head by 8:30. We wanted to try the hike again after we had to cut our hike short because of a hail storm a few days ago.

Our First Bear!

Even before the hike, the excitement began when we saw a black bear on our drive. The bear started going towards a walkway where there were some people walking towards the bear without knowing it was there so my husband yelled out to them and they ran back to their car. The bear ended up ignoring everyone, walked down the road and up a mountainside. We were happy to have finally seen a bear. Plus, saving a life or two is a great way to start your day!

A Grizzly Bear, Too!

Next up, we walked to Hidden Lake. I was really nervous when it started to rain and we were 1 1/2 hour's walk from the car, but it didn't storm today like it did before and all was well. Along the way, we saw our second bear. It was a grizzly bear and nobody seemed to mind that it was so far away. I'm not posting a photo of it - it looks like a brown dot in the picture!

Logan Pass Mountain Goats on Hidden Lake Hike

Out of the Way for the Mountain Goats!

We were really excited at the beginning of the hike to see little white dots and to be told they were mountain goats. Little did we know that we'd be walking with quite a few of them later on. We even had to get out of the way for the mountain goats with their babies walking by on the trail. It wasn't frightening - just fascinating and fun!

Hidden Lake

The almost 6 mile hike down to and back from Hidden Lake took us about 3 hours. There were some steep climbs, but it was worth it and I'm surprised that I'm not sore today. You could see the reflection of the mountains in the lake and wild flowers were everywhere. We brought a picnic lunch to eat there, but the mosquitoes were thick beside the lake so we only stopped for a quick rest and then hiked back.

Jammer Tour Cars Seen Throughout the Park

1,000 Bears, Huckleberry Ice Cream and a 4 Mile Run with Zoe

About 1,000 bears live in the park. We were so excited to finally see two of them. After the hike, we stopped at Eddie's outdoor cafe in Apgar Village for a scoop of huckleberry ice cream. Delicious!

Close to the park is the KOA where we're camped in our RV. Today I ran 4 miles on the wooded road out in front of the campground with my dog who has been at a kennel for a few days because dogs aren't allowed on the trails in the park. It felt good to do my longest run since the Missoula Marathon today.

Comments

  1. Awesome :) bears! I am going to take my mom on the red bus on Oct. She can't handle much walking. It sounds like you had a great hike. I would love to do it. The goats are pretty cool to watch, I have seen the scale some steep stuff. I am surprised the goats let hubby get so close! That's awesome your legs are feeling so good. !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have video of me giving them some trail space - haven't seen it yet, though. I hope you get the chance to hike it, too!

      Delete
  2. We loved the tour car when we were there. They let Deb ride shotgun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun to see those throughout the park! They even picked riders up at the West Glacier KOA where we stayed.

      Delete
  3. Looks like such a great trip! I hiked in the smokies 2 summers ago and I was so terrified of the bears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw a few bears in the Smokies when we were there years ago, but from the safety of our car!

      Delete
  4. A few weeks ago we had a black bear run through my parents yard while we were out playing games. Since they live in a neighborhood the last thing I was expecting was a bear so at first glance I thought it was a Newfoundland dog..lol

    I think that would be so cool to see the goats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering what state your parents live in now... Must have been exciting!

      Delete
    2. We live In Pennsylvania and it was so unexpected. Because it is very close to in town.

      Delete
    3. That would have been a shocker!

      Delete
  5. Two bears, how exciting! It's nice the goats shared their mountain with you. I've never had huckleberry ice cream. Sounds yummy. You've had such a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have huckleberry foods everywhere. It was my first time to try them. They remind me of blackberries.

      Delete
  6. It's great to hear you were excited to see two bears! My son and his wife were bummed to see not one! :/ Such gorgeous pictures! Your stories and theirs sound so familiar! I bet Zoe was so happy to see you! (That is her name, right?!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our dog is named Zoe. Sorry they didn't see a bear, too.

      Delete
  7. Yes bears are making a huge comeback.. I would rather they did it far away from me, but I am learning to live with them here too! Love that you had a great time and got to see some bears!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome to get to see a bear in the wild. That would just be amazing (as long as it wasn't chasing me).

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds wonderful. I would have loved seeing the mountain goats and their babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited Glacier and saw the mountain goats and left just in time - they started evacuations because of a fire the day we left!

      Delete
  10. This looks like such a neat place to visit! Someday we will drive our camper across the country to see more of the national parks out west, and Glacier is definitely on the list now! I'm glad you finally got to see a couple of bears. Good thing the Grizzly was from a distance - they are more likely to be aggressive than black bears! I'm always thankful we only have black bears here in Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we didn't run into one when we were alone hiking and that the grizzly was so far away we wouldn't have known he was there if it weren't for the crowd of photographers. You'll have a great time when you visit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt