Saturday, July 18, 2015

Glacier National Park: Hike, Run, Eat


First Hike, First Post-Marathon Run - A Little Painful!

We've only been in Glacier National Park a few days and we've already seen so many wild flowers, mountains, creeks, water falls and lakes. On our first hike, we drove on the Going to the Sun Road to Logan Pass to hike to Hidden Lake. Four days after running the Missoula Marathon, that was a painful first post-race run but not so much because I was sore.


Here we are happily hiking to Hidden Lake before the storm. "I hear thunder. We should turn around," said one of us.


"No, we're almost there!" said the other. Then the rain turned into ice. The ice pellets hitting our freezing faces and legs hurt like fire. Ouch, ouch, ouch! Here's a video of the hike where we talk about it.

Second Hike with a Fun Run Down the Mountain

Avalanche Lake Hike
Yesterday, which was the next day, we hiked up the somewhat steep trail to Avalanche Lake and then we ran down the trail - my husband's idea! I liked hopping over rocks and roots.

Afterwards, we stopped at Lake McDonald Lodge to eat at the nice restaurant there and played a game of chess in the large foyer. Oh, and the person who thought that we should turn around when we first heard the thunder also won the chess game... Just sayin'!

Camping in our RV 

We're camping just outside of Glacier National Park on the west side. On the way to Glacier from Missoula, my husband and I stayed at the Kalispell Walmart. Close by was a sports store where I tried on the hydration pack designed by Jenny Jurek - seemed to fit well. Then we drove to west Glacier where we stayed at the woodsy Glacier Campground and now we're at the West Glacier KOA - best thing about it is the short wooded road in front of the campground where I got in a short run.

Yummy Foods Lately
  • Nutella Crepe from Amazing Crepes in Whitefish, MT - I need a crepe recipe so I can make these.
  • Housemade Granola Bar sold at the register at West Glacier Restaurant for only $1 - large, kept it in my backpack for many hikes.
  • Bread Pudding Recipe (single serving, I added banana) - today's breakfast!

16 comments:

  1. Even if you don't say it out loud (I told you so!), it's nice to be right :) Though it sounds painful!! I also love running down hills/mountains - must be the smaller frame/shorter center of gravity.

    Love your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to be prepared for any weather, today I brought gloves... But the weather was warm. Better safe than sorry!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on winning the chess game. Always nice to be a winner, and right! Those views are beautiful! Sounds so fun your many rv adventures. The foods you have been eating even sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made crepes since, oh, high school, but I found a simple recipe. Might be a good pre-run meal!

      Delete
  3. Hmmm I think I know who wanted to turn around and who kept going, after reading about the chess match ;-) Did you actually get the the hydration pack, or just try it on?

    Have y'all had any issues staying at a Walmart overnight? The one near our house (which is right off of the interstate) has all of these signs saying no overnight RV or truck parking. People still do, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just ask the manager's permission for parking even when you see the signs, they've always said yes so far. Just tried the pack on out of curiosity!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your travels because I am living vicariously through you--minus the hike through the storm, ha ha! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're going to try that hike again to Hidden Lake - heard it's gorgeous from a camping neighbor who went there yesterday. Hoping for nice weather!

      Delete
  5. Looks absolutely beautiful. I have never been up to that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can visit Glacier someday!

      Delete
  6. Stunning photos! Sorry you got pelted with ice on your hike, that sounds painful.

    I have the jenny vest and I LOVE it! I just bought it this summer, but at some point I plan to do a review on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really need one now, but I like to know what's available. Looking forward to your review on the vest!

      Delete
  7. You look like you are having a great visit! When I visit my mom we spend a lot of time in that Wal-Mart :)
    I have been in Glacier this time of year and froze - it's funny how cold it can get! One year Going to the Sun was closed down still in June because of all the snow. Hiking should help loosen your legs up :) I love crepes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At Walmart, we went shopping for a couple of things, but needed a cart before we were done as usual! It's smart for them to let us park there!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful trip and you all look so happy! Living vicariously through your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something beautiful everywhere you look!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...