Idaho: Hikes, Runs, Caves

Indian Cave Skylight

I'm traveling with my husband in our RV while keeping up my running habit. The running scenery this week went from blah to wow by the second run of the week.

Tuesday

Today I woke up in Boise, Idaho, and did a 4 mile mall parking lot run because the mall was across the street from the Cabella's where we stayed.

Then we drove to the Stanley, Idaho, area. Stanley is a tiny town with a population of 63 and has a great view of the Sawtooth Mountains.

Wednesday

Today we went on a 3 hour hike at Redfish Lake Trail. The 6500' elevation really slowed me down and I finally talked my husband into turning around. The lake was beautiful.

Redfish Lake
Thursday

I ran 6 miles with hills today. My run took me towards Stanley Lake and I was on the lookout for bears the whole run. I ran 8 twenty second hills with a hard effort, but the 6500' elevation made it kind of hard. It was so cold that my fingers never warmed up, but at least my toes did. I made a warm chia pudding afterwards: milk, banana, chia seeds, yogurt and cinnamon.

Stanley Lake and Sawtooth Mountains
That morning, we left the Stanley RV Park for new digs. We parked for lunch in Sun Valley (at a large parking lot for the RV), drove the Jeep down the road to Ketchum for lunch, then stopped at Albertson's in Hailey where we could have easily stopped for lunch instead of in crowded Ketchum since they had some similar restaurants and then drove to a new place...

Thursday Night at the New Place

Short Hike up the Volcanic Spatter Cone Under a Blue Moon
Friday

I woke up in the Craters of the Moon National Monument campground. This park is otherworldly and so much better than I thought it would be. At 7AM, we were hiking the Broken Loop Trail and climbing into Buffalo Cave and Indian Cave. I almost skipped Indian Cave after reading about how I'd have to climb out of a small exit hole, but I'm glad I didn't. It wasn't so bad. On the way back to camp, my husband dropped me off along the road and I ran back to camp for fun.

Buffalo Cave: Small and Dark

Indian Cave Exit

We saw a fox and a couple of antelopes at and near the park. They said they have bears there, but not in the section where we stayed.

Broken Loop Trail

Saturday

Today I ran 8 pain-free miles at Craters of the Moon after a sore ankle cut yesterday's run short. The 6000' elevation really slowed me down, but that's okay. I did a couple of miles on the North Crater Lava Loop Trail and the rest on the peaceful road.

We left Craters of the Moon park, but not without a bang. That was the sound of our open awning hitting a street sign in the park. Oops!

Craters of the Moon Campsite Under an Unbroken Awning

Another surprisingly interesting stop was the Atomic Museum. In 1951, this was the first nuclear plant with usable electricity.  The museum has been kept as it looked in the fifties, which made me want to stop at a fifties diner, but not my husband so we ate at Texas Roadhouse near Idaho Falls in a nice area of Ammon city where they have good sweet potatoes.

Now we're staying at an RV park in Palisades, Idaho, very close to Grand Teton Nat'l Park, but I'm not sure where we're heading next. Our wonky awning might change our plans a bit, but that's okay. There are a lot of great places to see in this part of the country.

Comments

  1. You're in a really beautiful part of the country , Tina! I'm taking notes so I can plan a trip with my kids. They'd love to see Indian cave and craters of the moon! So would I!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We changed our plans and stayed two. days because we liked it so much. Worth a stop if you're in southern Idaho!

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! I give you credit for hiking in that cave with that small hole to climb out of. I'd be scared! We will be staying in Island Park Idaho when we go in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Island Park reservoir looks pretty. Googled it!

      Delete
  3. LOL. I bet your run in the mall parking lot was so disappointing after the beautiful runs and hikes you've been on this summer. A town with 63 people? Wow. I've never been in this area of the country. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty tiny town! Thought about eating at Stanley Bakery one day, but they had a line out the door!

      Delete
  4. So gorgeous! I wish I could take a summer and travel around in an RV. How fun going on many runs and seeing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craters of the Moon reminds me of Lassen Volcanic National Park. Have you been there yet? Volcanoes are so cool, especially spatter cones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never have, but maybe someday!

      Delete
  6. I love Idaho. So glad I'm running in all 50 states. I get to explore all these great parts of our country - I would never have otherwise seen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the best things about being a 50 stater!

      Delete
  7. Idaho is so pretty! Really all of the north west have some amazing views to offer, I never get tired of seeing all the beauty.
    Indian Cave looks pretty cool. I think it would have made me a little nervous to climb through the opening lol
    You are getting some really good runs and hiking in. I love the active adventure :)
    I have been in some small towns but never just 63!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It is so beautiful where you guys are, and you are going to so many different places. I can hardly keep up! Sorry to hear about your awning. If it's not one camping catastrophe, it's another. Luckily, more often than not they are not actual catastrophic catastrophes, but rather just more learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today my husband asked someone at Camping World if they have some sort of tech gadget to alert you about an open awning when you drive off. He was shown some $10 sticky notes you attach to your steering wheel. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Haha, they had a great sense of humor at that Camping World!

      Delete
  9. You are getting some good training in at that altitude! How many more weeks are you on the road?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say for sure... I just hope I speed it up a bit one of these days!

      Delete
  10. As I was reading the comments I laughed at the suggestion of the sticky notes to remind one not ot drive off before awning detail. Too funny. the photo of the exit to the Indian Cave looks very adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll put an awning sticky note reminder on the steering wheel tomorrow, just for fun!

      Delete
  11. When a town only has 63 people, don't you feel like you should meet them all??
    How long are you traveling? I went cross country with my parents as a kid. It was great. I am taking my kids camping (tent) in 2 days. I have to say I have great anxiety over this. I am not a camper. WHAT WAS I THINKING???
    Are you taking all of your pictures on your phone? They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I use my Droid Mini phone for pics.Not sure on a date... Depends on what breaks next!

      Delete
  12. You are seriously having the BEST summer ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running in new places is one of the best parts of the trip, but sometimes I'd like to rerun a trail and can't like today's run near Park City, Utah. Great run on the Millineum Trail!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week