Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I Survived Angels Landing!



We finally made it to the top of Angels Landing, in Utah's Zion National Park, after hiking for 2 1/2 hours. Here I am taking a parting picture after a 15 minute rest at the top. That's my husband beneath the tree starting back down the trail. There were a few places where you thought you were nearly finished, but you really weren't. There was much more climbing to do. Climbing up to the top was harder than I remembered it being when we climbed it 11 years ago - big surprise!

Starting Up Angels Landing

There were a couple of times when I wondered if I could make it all of the way up the mountain. I had to use my arms to lift myself up to the higher stepping spots in the rocks because my short legs couldn't reach the next place to step, and a couple of times, I asked my husband to give me a push up the rocks. My arms are still tired two days later.

Exhaustion at the Top of Angels Landing
As I was hanging onto the chain on the side of the cliff so I wouldn't fall more than 1400 feet to the ground, I had a couple of those scary moments when I wondered how I'd get back down the mountain because I was a little afraid of sliding right off the side. I'm glad that I've been doing some balance exercises just to keep me upright when I'm running.

We thought climbing down would much faster, but it still took us 1 1/2 hours. The 21 switchbacks down made my toes and knees hurt a bit. It's a good thing we started at 10am and not any later. On our hike down, it was hot!

The Angels Landing hike is about five miles long and the fun of hanging onto a chain to stay alive - well, priceless.


White Reef 

The next day I ran 6 miles at Red Rocks Rec Park near St. George. The park was across the street from the KOA park where we stayed so it was easy to go there and run on the White Reef trail - just me and the mountains - peaceful. We stopped at Croshaws in St. George for pie before heading towards the Grand Canyon. Their pie is delicious!

Next up in running, I'm running the Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon Stagecoach 55K trail race in this Saturday!

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a tough hike. Good job! I wouldn't be able to run the next day after that massive Hike. Just preparing you for what's to come this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband took my then-9-year-old to the top of Angel's Landing. I had no idea how treacherous it was or I would have tried to stop that. But she loved it -- it's one of her most proud accomplishments! Good luck on Saturday -- sounds like a beautiful run and I hope you have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this part of Utah. I'm not sure I could handle that last daring stretch of Angles Landings so Kudos for making it to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip has been so freaking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew, that sounds like a very tough and harrowing hike! Worth it in the end, though. I don't know what it is about places with the word 'angel' in them associated with hiking, but they are always tough. We have a spot on the Appalachian Trail near us called Angel's Rest, and it is a very strenuous hike to get there. No hanging on chains required with that one, though.

    By the way, good luck tomorrow! That race sounds intense, with only two aid stations. I hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't make it to the very top of that one. The part where you hang onto that chain & can see the cliff drop off right at your feet was too much for me...I actually started crying because I was so scared! I went back to that lookout while my husband went to the top by himself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite hikes ever, I bet I have done this 20+ times. I used to live in St. George and I went to Zion about 3 times a week to hike in the fall and winter months:) When I was younger we visited Zion twice a year and always did Angel's and hiked the Narrows:) In fact I am hoping to be visiting there in a few weeks taking a niece or nephew or two with me:)
    Great pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked hiking the Narrows a few years ago, too. I'd guess after climbing AL so many times, it gets easier. I wish I could test that out!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! Hanging on to a chain sounds pretty scary though lol

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...