Yellowstone National Park


We had a great time in YNP! My husband and I stayed there for about ten days during our RV trip and it was one of our favorite places. We saw too many geysers, bison and elk to count. Plus, we saw a pelican, a marmot, wolves (so far away that they looked like brown dots). Most exciting of all, we saw a grizzly bear!

Grizzly Bear in Hayden Meadow

After digging around in some dirt in the meadow, he ran up the hill towards the crowd of people and crossed the street. Maybe he was tired of being stared at by hundreds of people!


Grand Canyon of YNP

Did you know that there's a Grand Canyon in Yellowstone National Park? We visited the canyon by ourselves, just my husband and I, and then again with friends visiting from home because it's that impressive!

YNP: Lamar Valley

You knew there were bison in the park, but do you know how terrifying it is when hundreds of them suddenly change direction and start running towards your car? I was relieved when they decided to run around the car and not into it!

Top of Elephant Back Trail

We hiked up Elephant Back trail where you can see for miles once you climb up the steep mountain. (Yellowstone Lake is behind us.)

Lone Star Geyser

We biked to Lone Star Geyser. Our home is in Texas so we had to! It must have erupted for half an hour and there were only about a dozen people there, unlike Old Faithful and Riverside Geyser, both must-see geysers near Old Faithful Inn.

Looking Down Through the Natural Bridge from Top

We biked to the Natural Bridge, too, which is really impressive when you climb up to it and look down through it.

It was a great trip of hiking, biking, sight-seeing from the car and running, too, of course... I ran 5, 10, 11 (this was a day trip to Grand Teton Nat'l Park), 8, rest day, 12 and 8 miles while staying at YNP. Most of my miles were run in front of the Fishing Bridge Visitor Center and General Store and across Fishing Bridge. One morning, I saw a bison during my run. I always carried bear spray, which wasn't as annoying as I thought it would be - kind of like carrying a water bottle. I was glad to have it, just in case!

Comments

  1. Good idea with the bear spray! I love the picture of the Grand Canyon in YNP. How cool the Lone Star Geyser erupts for 30 minutes! You've had a wonderful summer adventure and I've enjoyed following along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to have to use bear spray, but it was nice to have it. I'm glad the bear spray we bought (at the kiosk at Canyon Vlg.) had a strap on it for carrying it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Photos, sounds like such a fun trip! I love Yellowstone, it is so beautiful there!
    That is awesome you got to see a bear, they are everywhere but anytime they get near a road all the traffic seems to stop and sometimes they become impossible to see, so you are one of the lucky ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far on this trip, we've been able to see 3 bears- one black and two grizzlies. We're in Ft. Collins, CO, now where we've been told the bears are prevalent lately... In town!

      Delete
  3. What a neat place! I love all of your pictures. How neat to see that Grizzly bear and the bison. What did all of those people on the road do when that bear ran towards and across the road? Good for him to show them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them ran to their cars, but a few people hung out way too close- nothing new there!

      Delete
  4. I think I need an RV. After seeing all your fun travels this summer, I just want to get in one and go. My kids would love it :) my husband would say it's not in the budget :( Guess I will keep living through your adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun, but after seeing your blog, I know you have a lot of fun at home doing ranch work, too!

      Delete
  5. Seriously, you have had the most amazing summer full of awesome spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been planning a back country hike lately. More excitement coming up soon!

      Delete
  6. I am so impressed with all the wildlife you saw! I was watching a news program the other day and they showed a clip of a lady hiking and two Bear were walking beside her so she recorded them on her phone! she was scared but didn't want to make any sudden movements. Even though one of them licked her ankle, they didn't hurt her. I thought of you and all the camping and hiking you've been doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a bear touched me, I'd probably faint!

      Delete
  7. When the bison start running it must be terrifying and amazing at the same time! I love seeing all the pictures. What a wonderful adventure. It's a great picture of you and your husband too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly terrifying even though I was in the car!

      Delete
  8. I will be there in just over a week!!! I've been reading our hiking book & trying to pick hikes. I think we will do both the north & south rims of the grand canyon for a leisurely day hike. Thanks for noting where you ran. We will be staying in Idaho so I'll do most of my runs there but was thinking about doing at least one run in Yellowstone (I'll be running in the morning then my husband & I will be hiking after I'm done).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt