Tuesday, October 27, 2015

My Longer Training Cycle



Deer!

I was glad to see five deer this week when I was out for three of my runs. There's some major tree cutting going on at the park beside my house and I was afraid that the deer would leave the park. (Enlarge the photo to see the three deer I saw one day.)

Eating Before My Morning Run 

My "fasting before all of my runs experiment" has ended in hopes that I'll have more energy when I run. I felt better when I ran 12 miles after eating first, but my pace still hasn't picked back up. See this Inside Tracker post and this Active.com post for more on the subject of eating before you run.

Am I an Obnoxious Runner? 

I asked myself that question after reading this article that makes the point that running should inspire others to do what they love even if it isn't running. Then I asked myself that question again after watching the video about the marathoner who ran without telling anyone. That would not be me!

Me and My Running Buddy at the Park Where I Run/Ride/Walk

A Longer Exercise Cycle 

After reading the book Meb for Mortals by Olympian Meb Keflezighi (my review), I was reminded of why I like the 9 day cycle. A longer plan gives me a little more recovery between the 3 main workouts of a long, tempo and speed run. Olympian Dathan Ritzenhein does 9-10 day cycles and puts 2-3 easy days between hard workouts, too. After reading Revisiting the 7 Day Training Week, you may even want to schedule an even longer training cycle of 10 days or 2-3 weeks.

My Recent 9 Day Training Cycle

Besides running and riding, on most days, I did a few minutes of strength training, core and/or balance exercises and dog walking, too.

Monday- 6 mile run with speed work: 1, 2, 3 minutes fast with 1 minute recovery runs between, times 2.

Tuesday- 7 mile recovery run

Wednesday- 1 hour bike ride (all rides this week: easy to moderate effort)

Thursday- 8 mile tempo run with 3 miles faster in the middle

Friday- 1 hour bike ride

Saturday- 6 mile recovery run

Sunday- rest

Monday- 12 mile run (last 2 miles faster) with vanilla EFS liquid shot (but I prefer berry flavor)

Tuesday (today) - 1 hour bike ride

Do you work out in the usual 7 day cycles or have you used a longer cycle?


18 comments:

  1. I haven't really considered a longer cycle. But, as an older runner it probably couldn't hurt. I can't imagine fasting before a long run. I'm OK for about 5 miles, but anything over that then I've got to put a little something in my stomach else I feel nauseous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt much better during this week's 12 miler than last week's 9 mile fasted run when I felt sluggish.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a strict training cycle as I run on feel. I have a few goals during the wk which one is to at least hit a double digit. I have been trying different foods out pre and during my runs to get a feel for what I can manage during my longer runs. Great job on your recent workout cycle. I would love to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really wasn't very long so it shouldn't be too hard to find a few minutes here and there to read through it. I hope you get the chance to buy it!

      Delete
  3. I really like the idea of having two recovery run days between hard workouts. I have low blood sugar in the morning and have to have at least a bit of juice or a few dates before I run even a short run. I learned that the hard way after visiting my doctor when I nearly passed out from working out on an empty stomach. For longer runs (over 5 miles for me), I have to eat real food or I will not have the energy to make it through. Also learned that the hard way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's what I've been experiencing - low blood sugar. I'm glad that I seem to be able to eat and run soon afterwards. When we fall back an hour this week, I'll be doing this more often.

      Delete
  4. I tend to take a week at a time and check it off, but a longer cycle is probably a good idea.
    I have been fasting before my runs, just because in heat I tend to feel nauseous, the temps just started to drop here recently, but I still haven't really started eating anything before a run, because it seems to be a habit after five months lol I only have one 12 miler left before my race, maybe I should get up and eat before it just to see...
    The video cracked me up lol that is not any of us bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only schedule one training cycle at a time, whether it be 7 days or the longer cycle. Then you can work with your upcoming schedule more easily. It would be fun to have a race coming up!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of a longer training cycle, however, I am an old dog. That's a new trick. Seriously, I have a hard enough time figuring out where I am on my plan that is weekly. I would have to have it printed on my calendar. I do throw in an extra day off every now and then, so I guess that counts!
    Before a long run I have about 1/3 cup of coffee with milk, and a fried egg on a piece of ezekiel toast (dry). I don't enjoy it, but it works. I can't have sugary/ carb things because I crash mid-run. If it is a shorter run, I have the coffee and lately,homemade chicken noodle soup. Crazy, but it works for me!
    I have been seeing lots of turkeys on my runs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite meals is an egg over easy on a piece of toast with the yolk softening the bread. The soup is something you'll find at ultra aid stations so not crazy at all!

      Delete
  6. I like the idea of a 9-10 day training cycle, but the 7 day framework fits so much better with my work schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that! It's a lot easier to schedule.

      Delete
  7. I *might* be an obnoxious runner ☺
    The 9-10 day cycle is great. I have used it when rebounding from injury and trying to save a couple of marathons.. worked for me!
    Also, as we get older, I think it just makes sense to get in the recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! I try not to talk about running too much, but if they ask... Watch out!

      Delete
  8. I have had some clients that fasted before running, As an RDN, I often caution them against it. I'm a big fan of feeding the machine with high quality foods pre-, during, and post exercise. Timing is key

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since eating before running, even more times since posting this, I've noticed that I feel better sooner during each run with less sluggishness. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  9. I have never considered anything but a 7 day schedule - I want to try a longer schedule and see how it works! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you've never tried it before, it might be fun to give it a go for a couple of weeks at least. It's fun to change things up sometimes. And thanks!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...