18 miles, Speedwork & a Smoothie



The last time I made crepes was when I took a home economics class in 9th grade and ever since I had crepes while on vacation this summer I've wanted to make them so I finally did. My crepes (recipe) were a little thick (should have added more milk), but since I haven't made them in years, I gave myself a break and a few bacon bits. I ate them before Friday's 18 mile run and today's 8 mile run with nut butters, bananas, honey and jam, but not all in one crepe!

I wasn't sore after my 18 mile run (with the last three miles the fastest) even though I thought I might be since I did so little running in the days before that long run. Gradually adding 3 miles to the long runs and doing them every 9 days is working for me.

Saturday, we were invited to a brand new restaurant that specializes in chicken, PDQ, for their "train the employees" day. Training day can be scary (it wasn't, though), but free food? Always good! My favorite item was the peanut butter chocolate shake, which reminded me of how much I like my chocolate peanut butter banana smoothies so that's what I drank after today's run.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Ingredients (amounts vary depending on what I toss into the blender):

1/2 banana, 1 1/2 Tb. PB, 1 Tb. cocoa powder and 1/4 cup milk

I had some lemonade leftover from the restaurant so I drank that mixed with an equal amount of water during today's speed work (1, 2, and 3 minutes run at hard effort with 1 minute rests three times). During my 18 mile run, I only drank Gatorade since it's served at a lot of races and I'm prepping my stomach for a possible race (even though I don't have one planned yet).

What's your favorite type of training run? I really like the challenge of running for a long time so my favorite is the long run.

Have you tried any new foods lately? I did and learned that I don't like butternut squash. I do like yellow squash and zucchini, though, so I'm not a total squash hater.

Comments

  1. These look great! You know I only had crepes once in my life at a friends sleepover party when I was 8 and I have never had them since. But they look fabulous, maybe your right and I should try something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a risk to try new foods, but you never know. You might find out you love the new food that you try. Cookie butter is something new and delicious that I tried this week.

      Delete
  2. I love crepes, but I have never tried to make them.
    A train the employees days sounds kid of fun!
    How do you run 18 miles and not feel sore?! That is awesome lol You are a distance runner for sure! I like the challenge of a long run, but my body does not always cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crepes are as easy to make as pancakes. One of my favorite fillings is sauteed apples with apple sauce.

      Delete
  3. I've never made crepes, but they look good! Should give it a try. I would say my favourite training run is also the long run. How long a run, probably my favourite distance outside of a race is about 16 miles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I don't know what my favorite long run distance would be. I guess it would depend on the weather and how I feel that day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt