20 Miles: Gen UCan and a Gel



Today I tried a new product before my long run: Generation UCan. I was hoping that by taking Gen UCan, I wouldn't need to take as many other types of fuel as usual. Although I have run 17 miles without fuel before, I often eat a gel or something about every 5 miles.

The main ingredient in Gen UCan powder is corn starch and it's supposed to prevent you from bonking by keeping your blood sugar level. I ate the following mixture 30 minutes before my run.

Cranberry Raspberry Chocolate Gen UCan (mixed the night before and refrigerated)

1 packet chocolate Gen UCan (33 gm carbohydrates)
1/2 packet cranberry raspberry Gen UCan (15 gm carbohydrates)
enough water to give it a pudding-like consistency

I liked the way the chocolate powder (contains sucralose) tasted, but the fruit powder was so sweet from the stevia that I mixed the two together to tone down the sweetness. This tasted okay. I'm sure mixing peanut butter with only the chocolate would taste better, but I wanted to keep things simple since it was my first time to experiment with Gen Ucan. The powders were easy to mix with a spoon and I didn't have any problems with grittiness that I noticed others complain about online.

During My Run: Only One Gel

After 13 miles and about 2 1/2 hours of running, I ate a strawberry banana GU gel (one of my favorite flavors) because I thought it might keep me from dragging my feet, which I was beginning to do.

My last mile was my fastest and when I finished the 4 hour run (12 min/mi ave), I was hungry. I'm never hungry after a long run so this was a nice change for me because it was lunch time. So I went out with my husband to Rudy's Barbecue where I had some delicious beef brisket and peach cobbler.

Generation UCan Links 

Gen UCan Post on Marathon Fueling

Runners Connect Gen UCan Review

Would you like two free packets of Generation UCAN? Here's a link.

Comments

  1. I bet that bbq tasted amazing after your long run. I have never heard of Ucan. During my long runs 14-17 miles I usually only have a pack of fruit snacks and seem to be fine. I'd like to test some other fuels out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing how you fuel for those long runs! It's always interesting to me to see what other runners do for food when they're training.

      Delete
  2. My husband loves Gen UCAN. I've tried it before and disliked the stevia taste. I'm glad to know that not all of the flavors are sweetened with stevia. I'll look for the sucralose ones and give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also carry other flavors that don't have stevia in them like lemonade and a pomegranate, too. A couple of them have protein in them, like chocolate, but some flavors don't if you'd prefer to not have protein in the powder.

      Delete
  3. I have not done well when I have tried GU, but strawberry banana sounds appealing. I may have to try one more time lol
    I may do okay with powder, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been very fortunate with GU gels. I think I like every one of their flavors. To me, the strawberry banana tastes mostly like banana.

      Delete
  4. I've actually never heard of these before! Always great to hear about new brands!
    I don't fuel during my runs, even long runs I know it's weird, but I don't. However, I do fuel to replace right after so I can see how these would be great for that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I read in Meb's book, he drinks the chocolate Gen UCan after races. (It has protein in it.)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the link. I'm always trying out new gels and flavours.
    My Running Shortz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like trying new food for my runs, too. It gives me something to look forward to.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like it worked out pretty well for you. It's always good to experiment with new fuel options when working out or running.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt