Saturday, December 12, 2015

18 Mile Run and Race Day Carb Tips



Today there was a race held at the park where I run so Zoe and I saw part of the race when we went on a walk after I went on a thirty minute bike ride and then a five mile run at the park.

Friday, I ran 18 miles. It was a warm 70 degrees and it was nice to be able to wear shorts in December. That's Texas!

I only ate 6 Fig Newton cookies on my 18 miler that took about 3 1/4 hours. An hour into my run, I started eating a cookie every 20-25 minutes. Two Fig Newton cookies have about the same amount of carbohydrates and calories as one gel. When I'm in a long race, I often eat 1-2 gels an hour. Eating two cookies was like eating one gel every 45 minutes.

After my long run, I completed some arm strengthening exercises and listened to a podcast, Science of Ultra Podcast with Dr. Jeukendrup: Carbohydrates for Runners. Thirty-eight minutes into the podcast you'll hear some suggestions for carb consumption during a race of marathon length or more. Here's the low-down for race day.
  • Have 200 grams of carbs 3 hours before the race.
  • Eat 25 grams carbs just before the race.
  • Every 15-30 minutes, take in 60-90 grams carbs per hour. If taking in more than 60 grams, the carbs should be a blend of different types for the best absorption. The GU gels that I often like to take during races contain maltodextrin and fructose.
  • After the race, have 60-70 carbs within 1 hour post-race.
  • For the first 3 hours after the race, have some carbs every hour until the next meal.
Here's hoping that all of your runs are well-fueled!

14 comments:

  1. This is interesting. So that GU you use that has maltodextrin and fructose, is that aa good thing? Would you suggest that? I just bought some mini honey wafers ( kind of like the honey stinger waffles) that I want to take on my next run but I need to find a clever way to pack them so they don't crumble all over. I have been loving this weather as well. It's usually snowing here at this time of year and now it's nearing 65 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, GU gels have gotten me across many finish lines! Maybe you could put your wafers in a plastic baggie? It's been nice wearing shorts in December!

      Delete
  2. I've been cycling long distances due to my injury and have to remember to fuel like I would during run. I prefer GU for running because I find it hard to chew real food. On the bike, I make a quick pit stop for fuel and the fig newtons idea would work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer gels during the run for the same reason so I used my bottled water to soften my cookies in my mouth. That worked! Great idea to use the cookies on the bike!

      Delete
  3. I love your fig newton tip. I have told you before I just can not do gel, I do like the little energy chews though, but I actually like something i can chew slowly :) I have not tried fig newtons in a long time, I need to revisit. This December warm streak is something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cold yesterday when I took a rest day, but today it warmed up a bit just in time for my run. : )

      Delete
  4. I use GU gels, too, but have to admit that after the first three they start to taste gross. I'll have to look for some alternatives. Maybe gummy bears?
    Love the pic of Zoe!
    My Running Shortz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Nancy Clark suggests Fig Newtons and gummy bears, too. Even marshmallows!

      Delete
  5. I love that you use Fig Newtons. I much prefer real food to gels that cost a lot more! I'll have to give our UK equivalent of Fig Newtons a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the savings, too! A package of 26 cookies costs about $3.50 (35 cents per serving) and gels cost about $1 each.

      Delete
  6. I have been fueling with dried apricots and cliff bars. The combination seems to be working well for me. I usually load up on sweet potato before and after a race / long run, as I am not a big pasta or bread person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like using apricots and sweet potatoes, too!

      Delete
  7. I'm starting to build up my long runs on trails in preparation for some goals I have for 2016. I like the idea of using Fig Newtons as running fuel. I will have to give that a try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to hearing about those goals!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...