Tuesday, December 8, 2015

8 Miles and Links


After a breakfast of oatmeal topped with blueberries, honey, almonds, coconut butter and molasses, I started yesterday's run. It was a little chilly here in SE Texas so I pulled my long sleeves down over my hands as I walked to the park.

At the park, I started running very slowly to continue my warm-up. After two miles, I picked up the pace and thought that mile was a 10 minute mile until I got home and uploaded the info to see that it was a 9:35 mile. I ran the next two miles at a 9:14 and then a 9:01 minute per mile pace. My last hard mile was at 8:35. I don't see numbers like that very often so I was happy. I finished with two cool-down miles. That's eight miles total.

During the cool-down, I stopped at home to pick up Zoe, my dog. We stopped at the park exercise equipment after the run where I exercised for a few minutes. At home, I made a mug of minty hot chocolate to warm me up because, you know, 50 degrees, brrr!

How to Develop Situational Awareness

Runners, are you aware of your surroundings when you're running? Sometimes I become lost in my thoughts, my music or my audio book and I have to remind myself to look around. The post I've linked to in the title will help you to become more aware of what is going on around you and give you ideas for an action plan in case something goes wrong. Here's an experiment I've tried... When you see another person who is doing laps like you, ask yourself what the person is wearing. When you see the person a second time, check yourself to test your accuracy.

When You Really Want Dessert...

Just go ahead and eat dessert, but eat fewer calories of your regular meal so that you don't end up eating too much that day. Today, I ate a small "burrito bowl" because I knew I'd want pumpkin pie afterwards. You could even try the experiment that Nancy Clark, RD, suggests and eat dessert instead of a regular meal. You'll probably find out that you don't feel great after eating only dessert for a meal and will pass on that idea the next time you think of it. It's something you might even want to let your kids try.

Have a great week!

10 comments:

  1. I could only dream of 50 degrees being chilly.....haha. That minty hot chocolate sounds delicious after a cool run. Your oatmeal sounds tasty as well. I have never tried coconut butter. I recently bought coconut oil for the first time but have yet to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yeah, 50 isn't really chilly! One idea... I like to saute my squash in coconut oil.

      Delete
  2. Awareness is important for sure, definitely fall into the zone when running. Off to read the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been working on looking around on my runs and was a little spooked on yesterday's run in the near dark when I turned a corner to see something standing in the grass, but it was only a fake snowman!

      Delete
  3. I love coconut oil too! I put some in my chai latte each morning. Yummy!
    I hope my workout tomorrow is as good as yours:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a delicious combination I need to try!

      Delete
  4. 50 when it isn't humid is great running weather :) I am a shorts and tank top in that temp lol
    Feeling cooler was good for you, you were flying around the park on your run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My long sleeved shirt probably came off after a mile. 50 degrees is pretty nice running weather. : ) After I run, though, I get the chills if I'm in my sweaty clothes for even a few minutes.

      Delete
  5. Great speedy run!

    I always work on being situationally aware during a run- especially a trail run. I often run by myself, so it's important for safety. That's why I never run with music when I run outside (much as I'd love to sometimes). Recently I had a scary encounter, while trail runnin, with an off leash dog who was very unfriendly and tried to attack me. I had to use my pepper spray to protect myself. Had I not been paying attention and saw the dog charging towards me, I probably would not have had the time to pull out my pepper spray before the dog was upon me. As it was, I only had about 10 seconds to react which was still barely enough time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry that happened to you. I've had to do the same thing. I'm glad you're okay!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...