Saturday, February 6, 2016

3 Things to Help Fuel Your Run

Here are three new things I learned about this week.
  1. GU's new 15 serving gel pack would be handy if you don't want to carry 15 packets on a trail run or a bike ride.
  2. Glukos is a new gel/powder with the main ingredient being glucose. They say it will absorb immediately into your body.
  3. Read the Racing Weight Blog to get some new ideas for what to eat from endurance athletes. 
Weekly Recap (2/1 - 2/7)

Since I've been home here in Texas after my month long trip to California and Oregon, I've been doing some bird-watching. Lately, I've seen Egyptian Geese and a hawk visiting the lake area at the park where I run. I saw one bird swoop down, catch a fish in the lake and fly over the lake a few times with the fish.

Monday- Yay, it's a long run day! 18 miles took me 3 1/4 hours to run (10:50/mi ave.). I had a waffle and a small PB&J crepe sandwich a couple of hours before having some Generation UCan 30 minutes before the run. After running an hour, I drank more Gen UCan. Maybe I need some tips on how to use it, but I don't notice any benefit to using it over other foods/drinks. I also ate another PB&J crepe and pretzels during the run. After the run, I worked out on the park exercise equipment - just keeping my hard days hard.

Tuesday5 easy paced miles followed by the usual walk with my dog.

Watching Egyptian Geese

Wednesday- rest

Thursday- 5 miles running easy for 2 miles and the last 3 miles the fastest at about a 10:00, 9:30 and 9:50/mile average pace. Core WO today.

Friday12 mile (2 hour) run today! Pre-run food: like triathlete Gwen Jorgensen eats on most days, I ate oatmeal with lots of toppings. Mid-run, I felt like I was dragging so I ran home and grabbed a yogurt packet and a pop-tart. The second half of my run was faster than the first half. I did an abs/arms WO, too.

Saturday - Time for another 5 miles for a total of 45 this week! I'm happy to be on target for my goal of running 2,016 miles in 2016 (minimum 39 miles/week ave.).

Sunday-Yay, Sunday is a rest day!

Have a great week!

21 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you can eat real food during your long runs. I wish that I could (maybe I need to practice more) but I feel like it causes me too many GI issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, snacks on the run motivates me to run. Other times, like this week, I just grab what's quick, easy and carbs!

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen the GU 15 serving size! That's a great idea. What race are you training for Tina?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your 18 miles.What are you currently training for now? I have a hard time logging many miles when I have no race in the near future. I have never heard of Glukose. Will have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know what the next race is, but I just don't know. Still, I'm able to keep on running - I like to run and I know there's always another race!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your 45 mile week! That must feel good! Since my training for a marathon has stopped I miss these high mileage weeks. Since moving to Florida I get to see so many different birds, too, especially during my runs. Love that! Have an awesome week Tina! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like the high mileage weeks, too! I think that we have a flock of loons visiting our park lake lately.

      Delete
  5. Great week and great job keeping on track for 2016 miles! I can't imagine running that many in a year. Maybe someday.

    Thanks for the link to the racing weight blog. I love reading about how the pros are fueling their training/racing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like reading about what pro-athletes eat, too. They've probably given a lot of thought to their nutrition and it's fun to try out some new meals.

      Delete
  6. Awesome that you are still on track for your goal of 2016 miles this year!!!
    Love the wildflower picture, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx, I'm especially happy about being on track with my 2016 mile goal after the month of traveling that we did. I run by those pretty flowers every time I run. : )

      Delete
  7. I keep hearing about the Ucan but havent shelled out the money for it, but I don't feel like I really need it when I don't run longer than half marathons. Some people really seem to swear by it though! Great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be especially good to try if the other running fuel isn't working. It's good that there are lots of options.

      Delete
  8. I love the idea of a PB&J crepe sandwich! Well done on your training :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just happened to have some crepes already made. Using leftovers made it easy!

      Delete
  9. Wow - a 15 serving gel pack. I wonder how big that is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, too. I think you'd want to carry it in a hydration pack.

      Delete
    2. I just saw the reusable flask they sell so- less waste/trash with this large gel pack.

      Delete
  10. Your training is amazing ;) What a great week, you are on track to make that yearly goal.
    I love PB&J - I think I could live off it lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. PB & J is yummy. So is PB & honey - another good running fuel.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...