Maxing Out at 18 Miles for Marathons

Let's Go!
5 Good Foods/Drinks I Had This Week That You Might Like, Too

1. Green Apple Gatorade - It tastes like the hard candies that I like.
2. Peanut Butter Chocolate Hammer gel
3. Root Beer Gu gel
4. Freekah - Use it like rice. High in protein, fiber and iron.
5. Bee pollen - I've only taken a small amount for one month and haven't noticed any extra energy, which is one of the reasons for taking it so I'm increasing the dose to 2 teaspoons today.

Have you tried any of these?

This Week's Exercise 

Saturday: Rest day except for the usual daily dog walk
Sunday: Biked 50 min.
Monday: 12 mile progression run: 3 easy, 6 moderate to hard, 3 easy; back exercises (IRF, Kinetic Rev)
Tuesday: 8 miles easy
Wednesday: Biked 43 min.; body-weight exercises
Thursday: 18 miles; exercises like push-ups, squats and leg lifts
Friday: 7 miles easy, weights (video), back and balance exercises

Total Running Miles: 45

This Week's Long Run: 18 Miles on 2/18

4:30 am - Wake-up (without alarm), exercise a few minutes, make breakfast

5:00 am - Finished my coffee and oatmeal with toppings including bee pollen

7:00 am - Run 9 easy, then insert some hard 1/2, 3/4 and full miles, finish with 2 easy miles.

Because it was warmer today (70 degrees towards the finish, like the Olympic Marathon Trials that topped out at 73), my run took longer than usual. Halfway through, I noticed that I was dragging in the heat.

I drank green apple Gatorade and 2 gels: Root Beer and peanut butter chocolate. Total carbohydrates: 90, which is a little low on carbs since my run took 3 hours 20 minutes. I had more Gatorade with me for more carbs, but I couldn't drink more. I had to stop at the restroom twice and I usually don't stop at all. When I race, I'd better eat more gels so that I at least get in 30 grams per hour.

My 18th Marathon is Nearly Here!

Mostly, I've done 18 mile long runs every 9 days since building up my mileage after the September Flagstaff 55K race. Only time will tell if 18 miles is long enough. Here's what Matt Fitzgerald thinks about long runs in marathon training.

Only 2 weeks until I run my 18th marathon on March 5, The Woodlands Marathon. It's taper time!

Comments

  1. I've never heard of green apple gatorade! Yum! I can't imagine it being that warm. I know I'll be cursing warm weather soon enough, but right now it's sounding great to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it until I saw it when I was shopping at a store outside of my neighborhood. If only I'd known that was around a long time ago!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with number 18. I am running my 18th half on March 13.

    I tried the Rootbeer gu too. What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Root Beer flavored GU tastes just like the drink to me. The first time I tried it, I didn't like it as much as the other flavors. I thought: who wants soda at 9 in the morning? Not me! But now I like it!

      Delete
  3. Boy that's warm for running long in, Tina!
    Good job!! Running a marathon near St. Patrick's day calls for Green Apple gatorade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the sodium rich Endurance Gatorade at aid stations will hydrate better than regular Gatorade. Funny about the holiday green flavor - I missed that!

      Delete
  4. I hope you have a great race! I am impressed with the amount of 18 miles run on the 9 day schedule. It seems you have built great endurance.
    I would never wake up at 4:30 w/o an alarm lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I wake up even earlier, like today. I had better take a power nap* this afternoon! *a short nap of about 20 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try the green apple Gatorade! There is a lot of debate about that long run mileage. I think you'll do great. You've run that distance many times. Enjoy your taper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that I've run this marathon and the half before, too. It's nice to be familiar with the race course.

      Delete
  7. I love green apple gatorade! Yes, it really does taste like the hard candies!

    Excited for you on your upcoming 18th marathon! I'm reading Matt's article next on 18 milers. I'm interested in that since I took 6 weeks off at the end of the year and just started back up Jan 1st. I am up to a 12 miler now and so hungry for a marathon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of trail races in this area in the spring. It would be great if you could run one with me!

      Delete
  8. Enjoy the taper!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully, I won't spend the extra time engrossed in weather predictions for race day!

      Delete
  9. Tina - you had a really awesome training week. Congrats on following that 18 miler with 7 miles the very next day. Pretty good! I have never tried any of the new foods you listed, at least not the particular flavors. Thanks for sharing your experience so far with bee pollen. It is definitely something I was looking into, as well. Let's see what happens when you increase it to 2 tablespoons. I heard many great things about bee pollen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Two teaspoons is the recommended dose on the bee pollen bottle so I'm not surprised that I didn't notice a difference with the daily teaspoon I was taking. We'll see!

      Delete
  10. I am training for my first marathon with Galloway and the run/walk method. I did over 26 miles last weekend for a race April 3rd. Another long run in 2 weeks time. That is a heck of a lot of time on my feet but I am trusting the plan....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to trust the plan, but it's often the best choice.

      Delete
  11. I think 18 miles will be long enough. With Hansons I maxed out at 16. Granted that 16 came at the end of a heavy week of training, so there was already a lot of cumulative fatigue (Hanson lingo). Thus, the 16 miler simulated the final 16 miles of a marathon.

    I really like that Root Beer-flavored GU, too. I love how it tastes just like Root Beer... something I didn't expect to enjoy while running, but surprisingly I do. Just goes to show you how your preferences during a run can change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that it tasted so good, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up