For Runners: 5 Ways to Stay Motivated



Maybe you've felt a little blah about running lately. If so, you might need some running motivation. Read on!


If You've Lost Your Running Motivation...  


Register for a race! I'm registered to run the local Brazos Bend 25K trail race (15.8 miles) on April 16. Last year, I ran the 50 mile race and the year before I ran the 25K race. I'm ready to count up the alligators I see during the race. This is southeast Texas!

Buy new running gear! I visited REI to try on some shoes, but I didn't find any that I liked better than the ones I've worn before so I'll probably buy the next pair from an online store. Running Warehouse is one of my favorite online stores. Use the code "GottaRunNow" to save 10% there.

Read a running book or a blog! I wrote a post about Meb for Mortals, a book that inspires me. Check out my sidebar for lots of fun blogs to read.

Run with someone new! I've belonged to a couple of different running groups. That's always a great way to meet new running friends.

Run somewhere new! You don't have to go on vacation - just look for a new route in your local area.





Weekly Recap

Thursday: 5 mile run w/5 short hills (more hill workouts)
Friday: 4 mile run
Saturday: 6 mile run, core workout
Sunday: 5 mile run, weights: arms
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 5 mile run, 35 min. ride, weights: arms
Wednesday:  9 miles (longest run since The Woodlands Marathon 3 weeks ago)

Totals: 34 miles of running, 1 ride and 3 other workouts

What keeps you running?

Comments

  1. Great week :)
    I need shoes right now, I am on the hunt. A good pair of shoes will motivate me to get out there and try again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun shopping! After I run the race in April, I'll be ready for some new shoes, too - my favorite kind of shopping!

      Delete
  2. I think the biggest thing that motivates me is the weather! If it's cold I am unmotivated, if the sun is out I just want to take it all in!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah! On the other hand, the hardest part about running for me is running in weather extremes of hot or cold.

      Delete
  3. By Far, My Motivation, The Boy Dog, 100%

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are great running buddies! My dog is 11 and doesn't often run with me now, but she's a good walking buddy, too!

      Delete
  4. Working on all of the above, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips!
    Registering for a race, or having one approach is always a great motivator!
    I also agree running somewhere new is always fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, races and new running places - fun things about running!

      Delete
  6. I love reading blogs for motivation...especially race recaps! My bucket list continues to grow by leaps and bounds... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, race recaps, like the Florida one you just posted, make me want to sign up for a race!

      Delete
  7. Having a race on the calendar is always a big one for me. Buying new stuff will do it, too, although my husband prefers I don't use that tactic too often ;-)

    I also really like watching a running-themed movie or watching online videos on YouTube when I'm lacking motivation. Have you ever seen any of the Ginger Runner YouTube videos? He does some great ones! I especially love the ones he does that center around races he runs or crews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I've seen some of his videos! Inspirational running videos are the best!

      Delete
  8. Great mileage and workouts this week, Tina! Having a goal race in mind is the best motivation for me. And new running shoes... I mean, who doesn't love shoes?!

    Amy @ http://www.livinglifetruth.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know I've had my upcoming trail race in mind during training runs - a good reason to get in some trail running like I have been when I do hillwork.

      Delete
  9. Great job this week Tina and great tips for staying motivated! I do not have that problem right now as I am in the middle of Spring half marathon races. I'm having a ball too. Tina we would love to have you join us for the Weekly Wrap each week. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up