25K Brazos Bend Trail Race Report


What a great race day! The race started with high-fives from Rob Goyen, the race director, and ended with a hug from one of the other runners after I thanked him for helping me to run fast. He ran just ahead of me for miles and I tried to keep up with him. I only passed him because he stopped at an aid station.

Getting There: Easy drive! I live about an hour and a half away from Brazos Bend State Park, which is south of Houston.

Packet Pick-up: The Brazos Bend 50 mile, 50k, 25K and 10K had about 850 participants (a small race compared to many I've run) so packet pick-up on the morning of the race was fast. Rachel Goyen held my race shirt for me until after the race because I was afraid that there wasn't enough time for me to take the shirt back to my car before the race. Nice!

Weather: warm, windy, humid

Course: well-marked, flat 14.9 miles with a few rocky trails

Fuel Pre-race: waffles w/PB and syrup, banana, Gatorade at home, banana bread later (good thing I brought it for a snack to eat after the race!)

Race Director's Pre-race Talk

Fuel During the Race: I brought apple Gatorade and a Root Beer GU gel. From the aid stations, I had Coke, the yummiest lemon cake and Fig Newton cookies. Have you ever stuffed your mouth with two of those at once? Don't try this at home.

Fuel Post-race: It might be easier to write what I did not eat! There was lots to choose from at the aid station (AS) at the finish. I had a Gatorade slush (nice and cold!), Fig Newtons, peanut M&M's, a PB & J sandwich, grape soda, pickles and pretzels (a guy dressed like Waldo reminded me to take in some salt. I hate it when my feet cramp while I'm driving home from a race. No cramps today. Thanks, Waldo!) In the car, I drank the chocolate milk that I had brought because, you know, I hadn't had enough to eat yet.

Gear: Since my Garmin battery broke on Christmas morning (so sad), I've been using my Strava app to record runs. Worked fine today except that everyone around me had to hear my splits... My earbuds recently broke. Everything's breaking! New earbuds arrive today.

How many gators did I see? I saw one alligator after someone yelled out that he was in the water beside the trail. I would have missed it if she hadn't called out and I would have been so disappointed.

Later, the 50K winner, Cal, tweeted that he saw 2 gators and one snake. Score! After I saw my first gator, I looked and looked for another - nada! (Check out Cal's Twitter page for running inspiration!)

My Finish: I came in 3rd for female masters runners with a time of 2:30. I forgot to check to see if I placed before I left the park so I don't know if I won anything. That's okay, though, I'm just a little bit happy to have placed. Update: only awards given to the top 2, which makes me glad. I didn't miss anything!

This was my third race at the Brazos Bend State Park south of Houston. Here are my race reports from those races:

4/25/15 50 Mile Race Report
4/27/14 25K Race Report

You just can't beat running a race in the woods (and not getting lost) with friendly people while stuffing your face with cookies and counting gators!

Update: The top photo shows two other 25K runners, 79 year old Zhen Lui and his son. I want to be running when I'm 79!



Comments

  1. Yes!!! Sounds like an awesome race! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I only wish I'd seen more alligators, but I was busy watching the trail right ahead of me for objects to trip on, snakes and gators.

      Delete
  2. Congrats for placing ! Sounds like a great race. Except for the hot & humid weather... so NOT my thing. I always bring pretzels as race fuel. Not sure if it keeps the cramps aways or not, but a bit of salt helps. Not sure why !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've trained with pretzels, too, along with all of the aid station snacks I picked up except lemon cake. I can't remember the last time I've eaten that - very good!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your finish! How cool you saw a gator along the course. Hopefully you can update everything that has been breaking for you lately.-L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No plans for spending $ on a GPS watch, but new headphones are a must-have!

      Delete
  4. Awesome! Congrats on the AG place :)
    All the food sounds yummy! and I am glad you had a gator sighting. I have never done a 25K I would love to that distance!
    Eating and running, now that is a fun day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, placing inspires me to try even harder to run faster. I ran a couple of fast miles today during my 8 miler. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on taking third! And on not being eaten by an alligator! Alligators are terrifying to me; I could never do this race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to terrify me, too, but after moving to Texas, I've gotten more used to them being around. You could do it!

      Delete
  7. What a fun race and very cool about the gater sighting!
    Sounds like a fun race, and I bet so pretty since it's in a state park! Great job on 3rd female masters, that is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are swamps, woods and lots of trees at this park. Sometimes I see deer and wild hogs there, too. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your race! I can't believe you saw a gator. I would have turned around at that point!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Would have been a short race!

      Delete
  9. What a joyous race report! I'm so happy for you. Congrats on placing in the masters division -- that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a great morning! Not getting lost and aid stations with gels, cookies, cake and soda are just a couple of the highlights - thanks to the race organizers.

      Delete
  10. There's definitely nothing like a race in the woods. Bonus points when you don't add bonus mileage, too. Congrats on a great race! I think it's funny that you were looking for gators the whole time. I don't know that I would want to see any. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah... I got bonus mileage on my last trail race - a 55k + 1 mile or so!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week