Monday, May 2, 2016

Extremes: Running, Flooding, and RV Driving


We were hit with a lot of rain where I live north of Houston. Nearby Cypress Creek overflowed and flooded the park where I like to run, ride and walk my dog. That's a picture of the parking lot for the park - not so good for cars, but great if you have a boat. Our house was fine, but we had to take a detour to leave the neighborhood for a few days.

RV Resort

Unexpectedly, my husband and I needed to drive from Houston to Bakersfield in Central California last week. Running first thing in the mornings made me feel better for the rest of each day. 

One day, I ran 12 miles at the Bakersfield RV Resort where we stayed. A complete park loop is 1/2 a mile - I ran 24 loops. Since I started so early in the mornings and felt safe there, I didn't mind the loops. On a couple of other runs, I ran outside of the RV park and passed some nice neighborhoods on the outskirts of town.


RV Park Gym

After most runs, I worked out in the RV park gym. Then I stopped by the office for coffee. Coffee and newspapers are free for customers. The RV park has a large laundry room and grocery stores nearby, but the best part for us is that it's close to where our family lives - the reason for our trip. By the way, the weather was nice for running.

We drove the 1600 miles home from California to Texas in two days. Although my husband drove most of the way, I drove, too. I drove through wind, rain and even snow in New Mexico and Arizona. Wind is the worst!

Park is Closed!

We got home this morning at 3:30 am and I was asleep at 4. I woke up at 8 and ran 14 miles. It sounds crazy,  but it really wasn't that hard. Since the park where I always run is closed for now, I ran through a nearby neighborhood. I'm looking forward to running at the park again in a couple of months even though I enjoyed running down some streets that I've never seen before.

Running this week: 5, 10, 12, 8, 5, 0, 14 = 54 miles

12 comments:

  1. Wow, you did a lot of driving! Actually my husband is in Houston right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of the week, we're supposed to have nice weather and no rain so he's here at a good time!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your house survived the flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it nice to have an rv for travel like that? We frequently go in ours an a park with a gym is certainly a plus. Most of the ones I've stayed in do not have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when I have found gyms, they haven't been as well-kept as this one. It was nice!

      Delete
  4. I hope your park recovers from the flood waters.
    I always think I want to try to do loops, but I never seem to be able to do more than a handful when I have tried. 24 is really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just glad the loops weren't any shorter!

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of miles Tina! Solid!
    Sorry about the weather, but you're not letting it stop you.
    All those loops?!....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just need to run - a whole lot of miles! : )

      Delete
  6. We have had SO much rain lately, but not to the extent that y'all have had with the flooding. That was a long trip to take to California - glad you were still able to get lots of running in! Driving a large vehicle is always scariest when it's windy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep planning for possible rain, wearing a hat, when I run but lately I've been fortunate. Hope it's not too troublesome and muddy for you!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...