Snow at the Grand Canyon


I recently visited the south rim of the Grand Canyon (April 25) on an unexpected trip from our home in Texas to visit family in California. I was surprised when it started to snow as we parked in the Grand Canyon parking lot. The snow made visiting the Grand Canyon extra special because I don't get a chance to see a lot of snow.

Snowing at the El Tovar
We walked around the visitor centers and the Grand Canyon rim viewing areas before we went inside the historic El Tovar. We had lunch there in the restaurant of the hotel. The chili with lots of cheese on top was good, but the view from our table of the canyon with the snow falling was even better.

My Husband Getting the RV Ready to Leave for California 

My husband and I stayed in our RV at the Williams/Grand Canyon KOA that night. When we arrived there, I ran 15 miles on a dirt path near the RV park. The morning that we left, I was surprised to see snow outside when I opened the RV door. My first thought was to hurry back inside to tell my husband, but then I decided that it would be more fun for him to be surprised like I did so I kept my little secret - that was hard for me, but I was glad that I did.

Workout recap:

Monday: 14 mile run the day we got back home, 15 min. strength training
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 6 mile run, pushed the pace
Thursday: 8 mile easy run
Friday: 30 min. bike ride, 15 min. strength training
Saturday: 12 mile run (3 miles faster mid-run: 9:50, 9:40, 9:30/mi. ave. pace), strength training
Sunday: 8 easy mile run, 30 min. strength training (back, arms, core)

Comments

  1. The Grand Canyon is so pretty! the snow looks beautiful :) It is always fun to go somewhere and have snow late in the season...it snowed once when I was in Glacier Park in June :)
    Glad to see you are running strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glacier Nat'l Park - one of my favorite places. Loved visiting there last summer in our RV!

      Delete
  2. Snow in the Grand Canyon? Seriously? I never would have thought that LOL I'd love to one day do the Rim2Rim...someday. Hopefully that won't be on a snowy day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to do the Rim2Rim, too! Someday...

      Delete
  3. What a fun trip and I'm glad you got "treated" to snow! The Grand Canyon is one spot I've yet to visit. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've visited the south rim many times and the north rim once where it was more quiet and had some great views - definitely worth the extra time to get there!

      Delete
  4. I have never seen the Grand Canyon other than flying over it. How cool you got to see it with snow so late in the season. Great job on your long run, I bet that made your run even more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun experience it must have been - the fly over!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pic at the Grand Canyon! And so cool that it snowed. Sounds like you had a great week of runs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was our first time to see snow there - so fun!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your Grand Canyon pictures!!! It's my all-time favorite place to hike :) Rim2Rim would be so cool... maybe a bucket list thing.

    Great runs this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find some blog posts to read about hikers who have done R2R. What a fun adventure to plan!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week