Saturday, June 4, 2016

14 Mile Post-run Fuel: The Hall's Chocolate Teff Pancakes



I made chocolate teff pancakes when I finished today's 14 mile run. The recipe is fast to put together so I didn't have to wait long until my belly was full of the good stuff. I topped mine with almond butter. Bananas would be good, too. Here's Sara and Ryan Hall's recipe for chocolate teff pancakes. I like to mix all of the dry ingredients together and store it until I'm ready to eat them. Then I add water, stir and cook. So easy!

Half the recipe makes 3 pancakes (see photo): 1/4 cup teff flour, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 1/2 Tb. cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, dash of salt and stevia to taste. Add water until it's the consistency of pancakes. 

Teff flour is high in iron and fiber. I found it at the HEB grocery store (found in Texas) and when I went shopping, I even found a coupon at the store. You can also find teff flour at Amazon. Next, I'm making teff hot cereal (cook it like oats) and these mint teff refrigerator cookies!

I wasn't sure how much running I'd get to do this morning. Thunder storms were predicted and two of this week's workouts were shortened because of storms so I was focused on staying flexible. There was a gentle rain for the entire run, but no thunder or lightning and that was great. I ran as far as I wanted to today. Plus, I ran into a friend!  




My Workouts this Week

Sunday: 8 mile easy run (saw a snake: see photo, but don't be fooled by the stick; deer, turtles, great blue herons, Cardinals), 15 min. strength training 
Monday: 9 mile run (cut my long run short - sore ankle, probably no big deal)
Tuesday: 1 hr bike ride, PM: 15 min. strength training (ankle is fine!)
Wednesday: 6 mile progression run (saw opposum!), PM: 15 min. bike ride (stopped because of storm)
Thursday: 3 mile easy run (stopped because of storm)
Friday:  30 min. bike ride, PM: 15 min. strength training
Saturday:  14 mile run

Totals
Running miles: 40 (just like last week)
Time on the bike: 1 hr. 45 min.
Strength training days: 3

10 comments:

  1. Great week again :) Glad the ankle is fine.
    Pancakes look yummy and sound like a great way to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara says they eat those pancakes every day. Maybe I'll have pancakes again tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. I am always so impressed by your workouts!
    It's finally NOW raining here. Glad I got my run in before it came down.

    I rarely make pancakes but those chocolate ones sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storms were predicted during my last 2 workouts, but didn't show up and I got them done, too. Feels great, right!

      Delete
  3. Tina - I never tried Teff flour before - but I need to give this a try, love that it is high in iron and fiber! The chocolate pancake recipe sounds great and delicious. I bought Tera's Whey today, love it! You had a great training week again, with great mileage! Have a great Running Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The teff flour will be fun to experiment with!

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of pre-making the dry pancaking mix so it is ready to go when you are. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried these and loved these! It's been a while. I'm not running a lot right now so I have to back away from the carbs . . . a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made hot chocolate teff cereal that was good, too. Next, I want to make mint teff cookies.

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...