Brick Workout Today



I completed a brick workout today. I rode my bike for 30 minutes and then I ran 6 miles. It was nearly a perfect progression run. With a progression run, you run each mile faster than the one before. Here are my mile splits: 10:47, 10:30, 10:13, 10:09, 10:16, 9:28.

Usually, my legs are dead after riding, but today they didn't feel as heavy as usual and they even found some speed at the end. The air was muggy like soup here in the Houston area, but I'm glad I get to run early - before the sun was shining and heating things up even more.

I ate most of my cup of oatmeal before the workout and then after the workout, finished it up with some yogurt mixed in. I used My Fitness Pal to get the suggested 3:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein (4:1 works, too). I like to add molasses for the added iron and sweetness. My breakfast was nearly the same as Shalane Flanagan’s Race Day Breakfast.


My Workouts This Week

Sunday: 12 mile progression run @ 10:09 mi. ave. pace; 1st mile to last mile- 11:18-9:14 (after 14 mile run the day before @10:58 pace); post-run fuel: chocolate pancakes; PM: 15 min. strength training 
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 8 mile easy run w/5 strides10 min. strength training 
Wednesday: 5 mile progression run 
Thursday: 5 mile easy run, 10 min. strength training 
Friday:  rest
Saturday: Brick Workout: 30 min. bike ride, 6 mile progression run w/5 flights of stairs finish

Totals
Running miles: 36
Time on the bike: 30 min.
Strength training days: 3

Comments

  1. Wow, that's a lot of running ! I have never done a brick workout, I am not a big biker. Oatmeal & yogurt ? That I can do !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately, I've been eating yogurt daily. So good for you!

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of miles!! I must have missed something...are you training for something? Big race, or a tri?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your recent blog post mentioned declined push-ups - I did 12 today. Glad you mentioned them! No races on my calendar - I like to be race-ready!

      Delete
  3. Great job on all the fabulous negative splits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's like a game trying to run negative splits. Fun!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, it's like a game trying to run negative splits. Fun!

      Delete
  4. Great wk of running. I have never done progression runs. My pace usually ends up getting slower throughout my run. I should work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun way to finish a run - a good challenge to see if you can run faster on tired legs.

      Delete
  5. Nice week! How great your run off the bike went so well. I can't even imagine the kind of humidity you have down there. That would totally sap me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning was so humid during my run, but at least there was a little breeze!

      Delete
  6. Nice brick workout in the humidity! I swear the humidity just sucks the life out of me. Add to that the way your legs feel like rubber running off of the bike and that would be tough. Glad to hear you were able to find your legs! Are you training for a tri?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tri? I wish! Nope, just wanted a good workout!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt