How I Make Sure I Run on Busy Days



Since I've been busier during the week lately, I have to work harder to make sure I run on busy days. I've had to start some of my workouts at 4 in the morning. That's early, but running is my favorite exercise and sometimes that's the best time of the day to fit in a run.

I've gotten used to waking up early and naps, like the one I just took, help. I often wake up a few minutes before my alarm goes off. I was afraid I'd dread the early morning workouts, but I don't. Since it's so hot, getting my workout finished before the sun is beating down on me is a real plus!

3 Tips for Waking Up Early

  1. Go to sleep early.
  2. Don't hit snooze. Just get up and get moving.
  3. Remind yourself that you'll get used to it.

I'm not registered for any races right now so, but I'm considering a 50K or 50 miler later this year or in 2017 like Rocky Raccoon or Brazos Bend, both in Texas near Houston and close to home. 

My Most Recent Ultras

Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach 55K Race Report
Brazos Bend 50 Mile Race Report

My Workouts This Week

Sunday: 
10 Minute Abs Workout Video8 mile easy run, 30 min. bike ride
Monday: 14 mile run @10:47 mi. ave. pace w/last 3 miles hard effort in the neighborhood and at the park in the photo; During run: 4 Fig Newtons and honey tortilla roll-up
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: (Busy day ahead: run started at 4am) 5 mile progression run; splits: 10:51, 10:30, 10:18, 9:55, 9:19, strength training 
Thursday: (Busy day ahead: run started at 4am) 5 miles (see link below), strength training
Friday: 45 min. bike ride
Saturday: Pre-run: oats, peanut butter, coffee; 8 mile run45 min. bike ride

Totals
Running miles: 40
Bike: 2 hours
Home Exercises: 3 times


5 Favorite Links of the Week

Kaci Lickteig Wins Womens Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run - Fourth fastest women's time on the course at sub-18! Short hill repeats and interval workouts helped this flat-lander win this race with a killer 40,000 foot change in elevation.

Sally McRae's Western States 100 Mile Race Recap: Get Back Up Again and Again - Read this if you've ever found yourself not meeting a running goal you really wanted. She finished 11th at sub-22!

No Regrets: Caroline Boller's Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run Race Report - Although  she alternated between bonking and feeling strong more than once, she finished 12th. Never give up!

Anytime Anyplace Running Workouts: On Thursday, I ran fast for 30 seconds every 5 minutes, a workout taken from this post and motivated by the Western States 100 milers.

One of Americas Toughest Trails: The Manitou Incline - This Colorado run is on my wish list!

Comments

  1. Wow! 40 miles... So good! At present, i can only run over 30 miles per week. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Great advise. And yes, awesome mileage. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wishing you the best with your marathon training!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the links, I always enjoy what you share :)
    You are awesome to get going at 4! I struggle with the snooze button, but i am trying to edge that wake up time closer to 4:30... slowly lol
    Nice mileage Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! With practice, it gets easier to wake up earlier. Really!

      Delete
  4. I have been failing at the Snooze button lately. Ugghhhhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps if you go to sleep early. I have to!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt