Saturday, July 9, 2016

Run Early to Beat the Heat!




Today's 9 mile run followed a few minutes of a HIIT workout, a good warm-up, and came before a 30 minute bike ride - a good cool-down!

Running in the Heat

Before my workout, I ate cold oatmeal mixed with coffee. I made it last night and put it in the refrigerator so that I could have a cold breakfast on this warm and humid morning. Last week, I forgot to do that and my hot oatmeal and hot coffee had me sweating even before I went outside. That's just part of life when you live in a humid location like I do, north of Houston. Hot summer runs may make us slower, but they make us stronger, too!

Run Early!

I woke up without an alarm at 4:30 today. That's good! When I start my run in the dark, I'm thankful later when the hot sun comes out. I got to see the pink clouds when the sun came up. Not only that, but I saw 16 deer. I was happy just to see the first two deer, but once I got to 16 I was hoping for an even 20. 

40 Miles of Running this Week!

Speaking of even, I got in an even 40 miles this week. I'm on my way to running 2,016 miles this year with 1,220 miles so far. Running 2,016 miles in 2016 is a fun challenge. What challenges are you going for this year?

My Workouts This Week

Sunday: 5
 mile easy run at 6am, Active Recovery Routine Video
Monday: 
16 mile run at 4:30am; 30 minutes before run: oatmeal and coffee, During run: Limeade w/salt added, 2 Fig Newtons and salted diced potatoes; exhausted from heat at mile 14; probably should have had more, but it was so hot that I didn't feel like it
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: Stabilization and Strength for Master’s Runners5 mile run at 4am: 5 x (6 min hard effort/3 min easy) 
Thursday: 1 hr. bike ride
Friday: 5 miles at 4am
Saturday: S
ome of a HIIT Video, 9 mile run at 5:30am, 30 min. bike ride

Totals


Running miles: 40
Bike: 1 hour
Other Exercises: 3 times


5 Favorite Links of the Week

Does Better Fat-Burning Give Women a Marathon Edge? The ability of women to not slow down as much as men may have more to do with our optimism. 
How Kaci Lickteig Won Western States - Smile, smile, smile some more!
Winner of Western States 100 Mile Race: Kaci's Race Recap - Third time's a charm!
Joelle Vaught Sets a New Zion Traverse Fastest Known Time - I'd love to do this Utah run!
Run 2,016 miles in 2016 - There's even a group you could join for support.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, 16 deer! I've only seen 3 total all year on my runs. And one was while I was walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a record high day for deer sightings at home. Fun!

      Delete
  2. I can't even imagine running near Houston in the summer (I used to live in Austin, which is far less humid, but still not exactly comfortable!).

    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I keep reminding myself that it makes me a stronger runner. Each finish is a small victory!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on 1,220 miles so far! I've never tried cold oatmeal and should. I'm still eating hot oatmeal! Even when it's so hot and humid early in the morning, I still find it helps me to run in the dark before the sun comes up. I'm going to experiment with eating real food on long runs. Do you carry your fig newtons & diced potatoes with you, or do you do a loop and come back for them? And do you stop to eat them or walk and eat them? I don't think I could run and at at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I carry food in baggies that I keep in my pockets or my Spibelt. I did that today on my 16 miler. Sometimes I eat on the run, sometimes I stop at the water fountain. My frozen bananas sort of melted so I drank those!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the links - I am headed read the fat burning article now.
    I finally nailed that 4:30 alarm for the first time this week :) I usually hit the snooze button, but I am hoping getting right up will become a habit!
    Fantastic mileage, glad you are on track to meet the 2016 goal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you were able to get up at that crazy early time! After a few times, it will start to feel not so crazy!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...