Fuel Like an Olympian



After watching 2016 Olympian marathoners, Shalane, Desiree and Amy, finish 6th, 7th and 9th, I came across some tips on what to eat before and during runs inspired by each of them. 

Today I ran later in the morning than usual and it was hotter - 80 degees and felt like 90 degrees, but less humid. At first the heat seemed to take my breath away. I didn't know if I could run my planned 5 miles. But after multiple water fountain stops, I felt fine and got lost in my music.

Shalane's Ginger Molasses Granola 

Before today's run, I ate yogurt topped with Ginger Molasses Granola from the new Run Fast. Eat Slow cookbook written by Shalane and her friend, Elyse. This granola is nutrient dense with healthy fats. It's delicious. 

Mix together:

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup shredded unsweetened dried coconut
½  cup shelled pumpkin seeds
½  cup sunflower seeds
½  cup raisins or chopped dried fruit (I add dried fruit after baking so it doesn't dry out.)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½  teaspoon salt
1/3  cup coconut oil (
if needed, microwave to soften)
¼  cup honey
¼  cup molasses


Place on greased cookie sheet. (Since I made 1/2 of a batch, it fit on one cookie sheet.) Bake at 275* for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

Nutritional Facts for Shalane's Ginger Molasses Granola from My Fitness Pal (1/2 cup): Carbohydrates: 33, Protein: 6, Fat: 10, Calories: 288

How Desiree Fuels for the Marathon

Desiree uses Powerbar electrolyte drink for the first 20K and caffeinated double latte Powerbar gels mixed in water later in the race. Elite runner Tina Muir talks about using caffeinated gels during a marathon in this video. I like Powerbar gels, known for being less thick than other gels, but
GU caffeinated caramel machiatto gel is my photo substitute since I didn't have a Powerbar gel. On a side note, see how Desiree trains her hunting dog in this video.  

Amy's Pre-run Breakfast  

Before a run, Amy likes to eat eggs, toast and a banana with her coffee. My favorite memory of Amy is seeing her training for the 2012 Olympic Trials in Houston at Memorial Park when she said, "Hi!" to me. Train like Amy and do repeats of 1 1/2 -2 miles with very short intervals and don't forget to say
, "Hi!"

Exercise Log 8/14-8/19


Sunday: 
mile run
Monday: 9 mile run 90 min. after oatmeal breakfast like Shalane Flanagan, core exercises including planks from Run Pink Jess plank video while listening to Elizabeth Clor, Boston Bound author, interviewed on DizRuns
Tuesday: 5 
mile run, Anne Smiles upper body workout
Wednesday: exercises like push-ups, v-ups, Russian twists

Thursday: mile run with three hard miles in the middle
Friday: mile run

Miles: 33 

Did watching the women's Olympic marathon make you want to run a marathon? I'm thinking about signing up for a November marathon.


Comments

  1. I am still missing the motivation to run another marathon but I would enjoy living vicariously through you if you do a November one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good! Sometimes we just need a break - summer time is a great time for one!

      Delete
  2. Sadly I did not watch any of the marathon. I was more into the swimming and gymnastics. I'm jealous that you have water fountains along your running route!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got Shalane's cookbook and it looks amazing. I made the sweet potato cookies for my long run this weekend and they were awesome. I better tolerate real food on the run and they were a great find. Can't wait to make more of the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ate a sweet potato at dinner. Cookies sound great!

      Delete
  4. I just got that cookbook too and made the muffins..I can't remember the name for them but they turned out really good. I loved watching the marathon, so motivating for my upcoming second marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to make those muffins, too!

      Delete
  5. So cool to see what elites/olympians do for fueling. I watched both marathons and was definitely inspired. I was particularly inspired by Meb and how he handled his race and even his slip at the finish line. Utmost respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meb showed us what not giving up looks like - a good lesson for all of us. Loved that he was still able to do some push-ups at the finish line!

      Delete
  6. I missed both marathons, but watched the track and field events. I've tried a couple of recipes from the book and like it--especially the muffins. Which marathon are you thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one I doubt too many know about - the one in Bakersfield, CA. Sounds like a good book!

      Delete
  7. That molasses granola looks delish! I might have to try that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good and worth the little bit of time it took to mix it up and bake it!

      Delete
  8. I sadly missed the marathon as our son moved into his college apartment that day! But, it's very interesting what these ladies choose as fuel. What marathon are you thinking about?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bakersfield, CA, Marathon. I would have missed the marathon if my husband hadn't thought to record it for me. Made me really happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you like the Caramel Macchiato gels? Very interesting post on the elite fueling strategies! Eggs, toast, banana and coffee is something I would go for :)

    I have been struggling to get my gels down during the hot summer runs. While training for my Spring marathon, it didn't bother me one bit! I actually ate fruit snacks instead on my last 20-miler... it worked for now.

    Any non-gel recommendations? I have tried sports beans in the past and they were okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been a long time since I've eaten that gel flavor, but I've never had a GU gel that I didn't like. If you are looking for non-gel food, Glukos Energy fruit punch gummies, that I recently used, taste good. I've used other foods like dates and raisins, too. I hope you find something that sits well in your stomach soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was also so inspiring watching the Olympic Women's Marathon - I'm leaning toward a fall marathon next year. I also bought Shalane's cookbook and am loving all the great recipes. I have several earmarked to try in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you're thinking about running a marathon! There's a special deal on the book this week and I bought it, too. I'm looking forward to having coffee-vanilla-peanut butter soon!

      Delete
  13. I saw the article in RW about Shalane's new book - may have to get my own copy. It was great to see both Shalane and Desiree finish in the top 10. And always interesting to see who still had some gears left in them to turn up in the last 10K. The men's marathon was an exciting race to watch as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the book yesterday. I've already made two more of the recipes!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week