My Long Run: During and Afterwards


This week my running legs carried me a total of 55 miles. Yesterday's 17 mile run was a hot one. The still air was almost suffocating. Knowing that I wasn't the only one trudging through the humidity helped. There were lots of walkers including the hiker who carries a huge backpack for his upcoming Appalachian Trail hike. I had Gatorade, dates, candy and crackers on the run. In the later miles, I switched from listening to a book to listening to music and drenched my head in cold water at fountains.

At first, my legs were heavy on today's run because of yesterday's run. After the heaviness subsided, the temperature rose with the rising sun. Still, I was feeling good and happy to count off my miles - from 48 to 55 because it was my last run of the week. When I finish most of my runs, I take my Weimaraner, Zoe, for a walk. That's her in the photo waiting for her turn.

After my long run, I visited a Houston area running store and when I mentioned the Olympic marathon, I was introduced to one of the employee's - Amy Cragg's father-in-law! After her 9th place finish in the Olympic marathon, she's on vacation, he said. I knew she finished 9th, but I hadn't realized that she had been at 11th place at 40K. Go Amy!

The evening of my long run, I did negative pull-ups where you get help to get to the top of a bar and slowly come down. I started working on pull-ups again after seeing Jessie Graff become the first woman to make it through stage one in the national finals on America Ninja Warriors this week. Here's a video to help beginners learn to do pull-ups that she made with a friend who can't do pull-ups yet.

How I Exercised this Week 

Saturday: 35 min. bike ride, strength training
Sunday: 10 mile run
Monday: 4 mile run, strength training
Tuesday: 10 
mile run, arm exercises

Wednesday: 6 mile run, core exercises
Thursday: 17 mile runarm exercises
Friday: mile run, 25 min bike ride

Comments

  1. Nice work getting 55 miles done this week. Wow! Amy Cragg is so inspiring. Amazing that she had such a strong finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy is a strong runner! I can't wait to see how she does in the future.

      Delete
  2. Great run. So cool that you got to talk to Amy's father in law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to chat with him. His son is Olympian Alistair Cragg!

      Delete
  3. Amazing week of working out and so fun to get to chat with her father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and, yes, a fun surprise!

      Delete
  4. You put in some serious mileage this week Tina. Huge Congrats! It has been so hot and humid here in Florida I frequently need to stop to drench my head at the showers along the beach, too. Dates on a long run is such a great idea - I need to remember that! Have a great Running week Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! At the fountains, I drench my head and back with water. When it's hot, that refreshes me.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed watching Jessie Graff on Ninja Warrior! She was so consistent. As always, I'm in awe of your weekly milage. I'm hovering around 25 lately and need to get up to the 30s. I don't train for marathons, so my milage will always be lower, but I'd like some longer runs in during the week. Have a great one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NW is a fun show to watch. Motivates me to work hard!

      Delete
  6. 17 miles in stifling heat! Oof! Congrats on getting it done! And great job on a high mileage week in general! My mileage is starting to go up. I'm hoping for a break in the weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait for cooler weather. It will make long runs so much easier!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt