Prepping for 50K: 20 Miles on Glukos


I'm running a 50K trail race in 6 weeks - the Pass Mountain Trail 50K Race in Mesa, Arizona, held on November 12. I've been doing hill repeats on the steepest little hill near my house. I do squats and lunges while I wait for my Keurig to make coffee. I've increased my mileage - 58 miles this week. I also tried some new products that I might use at the race that I won in a Glukos Energy giveaway.

How I Fueled My 20 Mile Run

Not wanting to try too many new things at once, before yesterday's run I had coffee with oatmeal mixed with banana, cinnamon and walnuts instead of one of the bars that I won. During the run, I used one Glukos drink mix, one Glukos gel, and 14 Glukos tablets, which is 120 carbohydrates and 390 calories total for my 3hr 40 min run. I ate/drank something every 2 miles from miles 4 to 16.

Results of My Glukos Experiment

I've used orange, lemon and fruit punch flavors and liked them all. Every product has a light sweetness that's just right (they use stevia). They say that glucose, the main ingredient in the products, is a sugar most easily and quickly used by our bodies. I didn't have any stomach upset or cramps and I didn't bonk. I managed a fast finish, which makes me happy.

I liked the convenience of the tablets, which you can just chew or put in a bottle with water. At 5 grams of carbs in each tablet, you can easily take in only a little fuel at a time. I ate 2-4 tablets at once and they remind me of Smarties candy. The drink powder mixes easily. The gel, which is water-based, is more like a drink than other gels and is in a package larger than most gels.

Last month, I ran a long run using Glukos drink powder and gummies. I like the small size of the gummies and how easy they are to chew. Click here to see how I used them on that 16 mile run. 

How to Get Glukos for Free

Request a free sample at Glukos Energy so that you can use Glukos, too, just like Jared Ward, 3rd marathon finisher in the '16 men's Olympics. Check them out on Twitter or Facebook. That's how I entered the giveaway and won a box of Glukos.

Running This Week: 

Monday: 12 mile run with 12 hill repeats
Tuesday: 8 
mile run with strides

Wednesday: 8 mile run with strides
Thursday: 20 mile run with last miles at 
10:01, 10:03, 9:48, 9:31, 9:15/mile. Average pace- 10:57. 
Friday: 
10 mile run (tiring my legs right after a 20 mile day to prep for 50K); pre-run: a chocolate Glukos energy bar (the first ingredient on the list is dates so if you like dates, I think you'll like it, it gave me energy for the first half of run, I should have brought a snack, though); post-run: a cookies 'n creme Glukos protein bar (I needed to nuke it to soften it, good flavor)

Total: 58 miles


I hope that you have a good running week with cooler fall weather like we are enjoying here in the Houston area!

Comments

  1. Wow I can't imagine running a race that long! Sounds like your training is going really well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Scarier than the distance for me is the climb in elevation - 2,500' I think - great motivation for hillwork!

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of the Glukos brand...thanks for the info! I'm gonna checkout their site ;-) Congrats on your awesome training...your mileage takes my breath away (and makes my entire body hurt LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your stair work does the same to me! I'm glad you learned something new. I love that about running blogs!

      Delete
  3. I hope the weather in Mesa will be cool! I'm aiming for a marathon in 6 weeks as well on the same date so it will be fun to hear how your training is going! :) I signed up for a sample of Glukos. Always willing to try something new! Thanks for all the tips! I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 weeks out isn't too early to start checking weather, right?! 47-76 with 57% chance of rain predicted. If it stays 47 all day and doesn't rain - perfect! Hope you like the Glukos. It's fun experimenting! So fun that we're racing on the same day!

      Delete
  4. Great week of big mileage!!! You are a total rockstar for running the ultra distances 😁 I want to check out those Glukos products. They sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really thankful that my body is handling all of the mileage I've been doing. Sometimes it motivates me to eat as healthy as possible and sometimes it's an excuse to eat an extra cookie!

      Delete
  5. A 50k, very cool!
    I've never run one officially. But once I ran a marathon and then had a 6 mile run back to my hotel after so close enough, LOL
    Good luck with your training this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It will be my 3rd 50k and 2nd Arizona ultra. 6 miles after a marathon sounds tough, but it would be a fun challenge.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous10/04/2016

    Hey Tina - it was fun running into an internet celebrity handing out timing chips at the Blazing 777's race! Keep up the good work. I'll keep stalking your blog and look forward to your 50k race report. My first 50k is in November and I want to throw up just thinking about it!

    Gregg B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably only because you just finished a race. Pretty soon you'll be looking for a 100K to run! Congrats on your 25K finish! Hope the stickers didn't get to you on the trail.

      Delete
  7. Believe it or not, I have never tried any gels or tablets. I always fuel with either a Cliff bar or dried fruit. I should try a gel, but just haven't gotten around to it...
    Good luck on your 50K. Huge goal !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your recent long run post about running in Paris! I'm always curious about what other runners eat/drink on the run, so thanks. I've run on dates, raisins and dried apricots - all good!

      Delete
  8. I tried Glukos at the RnRNola I believe and loved it! I like the tablets to chew but never could get them to dissolve in water. I also liked the pouches they gave out during the run cause I could drink all of it without walking. But I wouldn't want to carry it with me from the start of a race I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, those tablets are handy! I had a few before today's run for a pre-long run pick me up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt