Running: My 60 Mile Week


For lunch today, I used a recipe from Shalane Flanagan's book, Run Fast, Eat Slow. The Omega Sardine Salad is a favorite recovery meal for Amy Cragg. I was happily surprised that I could hardly taste the sardines in it and that it tasted good, but my husband, sitting beside me and eating a hot dog, said he could definitely smell the sardines!

Saturday: One of the best perks of rising early for a run - seeing the sun rise. I took a full day of rest today. That means I missed the chance of seeing a beautiful sunrise like the one in the photo, but the rest is good for me.

Sunday: 10 mile run with 1 mile hard/easy runs repeated; strength training: arms, abs


Window Shopping at Annette's

Labor Day: After a 7 mile run and doing exercises like lunges, planks, squats, my husband and I took a drive about 40 minutes north of home on I-45 to Annette's Antiques in New Waverly, Texas. It was fun to wander through the barn. Then we hit up some more antique shops in Huntsville and Old Town Spring. After that, I took a nap and watched the show, Fixer Upper. They decorate homes with items like the ones that we saw at Annette's like old windows and doors.

Tuesday: 9 mile run with 5 stair climbs (will slowly increase that #); strength training: arms, core


Find the Deer!

Wednesday: I saw a fawn and a mother deer on my 8 mile run; exercises: push-ups, plank, lunges, squats, single-leg squats

Long Run Thursday: I saw three deer, including a fawn, when I went on my 18 mile run powered by Gatorade. I had to resort to a countdown in the last mile, thinking about how I only had a half mile, a quarter mile, etc, left to go because I really wanted to quit. The heat was getting to me! 

Later in the day, I did some strength training for my arms. I want to be able to do pull-ups, but at least I can do chin-ups (underhand grip)! 

Friday (today): mile run and exercises like squats and lunges; last run of a high mileage week and my legs feel fine - happiness!

Total running: 60 miles 

Comments

  1. Awesome job this week!
    60 miles, incredible!!
    It's been way too many years since I've had a week in the 60's. That takes being in great shape to pull those off, so huge props to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm trying to eat especially well in order to help my body get in all of these miles and stay uninjured. So... Sardine salad like Olympian Amy!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your training is just incredible. My legs would feel like jello if I did what you completed in the week. Kudos to you! I did 11 miles 3 days after completing a half marathon and felt good about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on completing the half marathon! Racing in the summertime, with the usual high temps, is tough. 11 so soon really is something to feel good about!

      Delete
  3. Nice work this week! What race are you training for? I have Shalane's cook book too and I'm loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might get the opportunity to run a marathon in November in Bakersfield, CA, but I don't know yet. It was a good book to read through and it's been fun trying the new recipes.Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Gosh, I cannot comprehend a 60-mile week! My marathon is also in November, and my mileage was 25 this week (and that includes a half marathon yesterday). You're lucky your body can handle that...I'd be on a stretcher LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good! I hope you have a great race!

      Delete
  5. Congrats that is awesome. It is a goal of mine at some point to hit 50, but 60..is even so much more - wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd have to check, but this may be the most I've ever run in one week.

      Delete
  6. Woo! Look at that mileage, and you're still feeling great! Awesome! Oh, and I love Fixer Upper! Every time I watch it, I say we should move to Waco so they can fix up a house for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be fun for them to drive around the area and see all of the houses that they've transformed. I'd love that!

      Delete
  7. Amazing week, Tina!! I hit 60 once but am not near that now. Anytime my mileage goes too far over 40, my body reminds me of some of the imbalances so I back off... I'd rather run less than get hurt. But I'm in awe of 60+ mileage!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a great week of running!

      Delete
  8. Glad I found your blog! Keep up the great work and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! Hopefully, we can encourage each other with our running!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

50 Mile Race Coming Up