Saturday, October 8, 2016

50K in 5 Weeks: Time for a 22 Mile Run!



Yesterday, I ran 22 miles. Before the run, I hit a glitch or two which caused me to start a little later than planned. First, I had trouble fitting my phone and my phone battery charger into the water belt I planned to use. Then I was reminded that gels don't mix well with water after I squeezed the gel from two packets into a bottle I had planned to carry. 

So instead of using a belt, I filled my Camelbak pack with 40 ounces of water, stuffed 6 Tri-berry GU gels into two skirt pockets and put the 10 ounce bottle of water with 2 gels in it on the front porch. I started the run in my neighborhood and ran to the park later.

I drank the gels in the water bottle at miles 5 (porch stop after running 1 hour) and 7 (porch stop) and ate one gel at miles 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18. I didn't finish the gels for one or two miles in order to give my stomach time to digest them. My stomach felt fine the whole time. 


I Never Grew Tired of the Taste of the 7 Tri-berry Gu Gels that I Ate

It was warmer this week than last week so I ran this 22 mile at a slower pace (12:19 min/mi ave pace this week vs. 10:57 for 20 miles). For this 4.5 hour run, I had 760 calories and 195 grams of carbohydrates. Aiming for at least 30 mg of carbs per hour, I had plenty of carbs, felt strong and had no stomach troubles. 

Before my run, I had coffee with my oatmeal 2.5 hours and 4 Glukos tabs for 20 mg. carbs just before running.

I broke the 22 miles up into smaller chunks and focused on each shorter distance. That helped me mentally. 22 is a lot to wrap your brain around!

Today it was cooler outside and I felt great so I ran a little farther than planned and ran 13 miles. I was happy that I ran an average pace of 11:19 - exactly one minute faster pace than yesterday. What a difference the weather makes!

I hope that the 22 miler followed by a 13 mile day will turn out to be good preparation for the 50K trail race I'm running in 5 weeks - the Pass Mountain 50K Trail Race in Mesa, Arizona, held on November 12. I think I could have switched the order around to run a 13 and then a 22 miler, but this worked better for me this time.


Blazing 7's Race in Cat Spring, Texas
Last Saturday, I volunteered at packet pick-up for the Trail Racing Over Texas Blazing 7's race. The runners were both excited and a little anxious and it was fun to help out by handing out the ankle chips and to talk about running all morning. I even met someone who reads my blog!

This Week's Exercises 

Monday: 10 mile run with hill repeats at the park, exercises: squats, etc.
Tuesday: 8 
mile run with strides

Wednesday: 12 mile run (during run, I ate a rice crispy treat that wasn't enough fuel so at mile 9, I stopped at home for a Glukos gel that made me feel better after 1.5 miles), 30 minute fast walk with my husband afterwards
Thursday: strength training with weights

Friday: 22
 mile run that felt better than my 12 miler (always bring plenty to eat!), Viking ABC Core Video
Saturday: core WO13 mile run, during run: 1/3 cup rice and 2 pieces of taffy!

Total Running Miles: 65 miles - I think that's my highest mileage week ever!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of miles! How did you recover for 13 miles the day after 22? Do you include any stretching or yoga? I'm trying to teach my body to run long consecutive days like that but it's a challenge! Great work. I like stopping at home on the porch for my fuel too, so I know my neighborhood loop better than anyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I ate plenty - both treats and healthy food (taco bowl, pizza, yogurt/fruit and froyo, too). Before and after runs, I do some dynamic stretching. Plus, I did the usual core work before the 13 miler. With a gradual mileage build up, you'll get there!

      Delete
  2. I try to break up my long runs as well. I usually go anywhere between 5-7 miles at a time,before a potty stop and refueling. Not a long stop (less than 10 minutes), but just enough that my brain registers it as a "break"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's how I broke my run up mentally... At first, (4 x 5) + 2. When I started eating gels more often, just multiple 2 milers because I started a new gel then and 2 sounds nice and short!

      Delete
  3. Woah! Impressive mileage! Sounds like you'll definitely be ready for that 50k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so! Less than 5 weeks to go!

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine running that much in one weekend let alone training for a 50K good for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't wait to run in the Arizona desert - as long as it's not hot!

      Delete
  5. Great job on your back to back long runs. I took tri berry during my marathon and I never got sick of that flavor eihter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to decide on the flavors to use in the 50K. That would be a good one!

      Delete
  6. Hello Tina, I've recently returned to training for a marathon and blogging. I'm so happy to see you are still at it. I'm excited to be back at it after a 3 year break (other than low mileage slow running).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear that you're blogging and training for a race again! Looking forward to keeping up with your training!

      Delete
  7. That is amazing mileage :) You are well prepped for your race! I have 20 ti run this week and I am nervous. I am beginning to think i am not taking enough calories in on my long runs.
    I will remember to break my long one down this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope that by taking in lots of carbs during training, my tummy won't rebel on race day.

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...