Pass Mountain 50K Trail Race Recap


I crossed the finish line of the Pass Mountain 50K Trail Race in Mesa, Arizona, near Phoenix, on November 12 in about 7:53. I'm the one waving at the start of the race in the photo. It's fun to see runners that I ran and chatted with during the race in that photo.

During the last and longest mile of the race when I really wanted to quit because I was so thirsty and hot and maybe a little sad about my time, I planned out exactly what I'd do when I finished: call my husband who I thought would be at our RV site, get some water (I ran out - the last part took longer than I estimated) and lay down. 

But instead, I hugged my husband who was at the finish line and I chatted with the other finishers. I was really happy to have finished! I cleaned up and we went out to eat in nearby Chandler where I got in a little mall walking, which felt good to my sore muscles.

Getting There: It took my husband and I two days to get to the race start... We drove our RV from Texas to Arizona. Race vacations are the best!

Buc-ees snack stop on the way to Arizona!

Race Goodies: I received the race shirt at packet pick-up. I appreciate it when they offer shirts that are made for women like they did at this race. I've already worn it twice even though the race was only three days ago. Shirts are better than medals! (We didn't get medals, but they gave us finishing glasses.)

Weather: The temperature for race day was about 60-80 - a little warm for a mostly unshaded course. I liked it when I ran in the shade of the mountain in the afternoon. With the breeze, it was much better than running in the sun.


Course: The 50K was a two loop course in the desert. The good thing about that is that I would be familiar with the second loop after running the first half, which meant less chance of getting lost on the trail. I got lost on the first loop. The bad part is that people followed me. The good part is that we all corrected ourselves pretty fast and I didn't get lost on the second loop. Later, when I saw the place where I went off course, I didn't know how I could have gone off-course, but Garmin says I ran 32.1 so maybe I added a mile - not too bad.

Fuel Pre-race: Blueberry bagel and, at the start, a half of a banana. For three days pre-race, I increased my carbohydrates but I just don't see the advantage to that in my race time.


Race shirt and bib and lots of GU gels!

Fuel During the Race: Gu gels about every 30 minutes, some Coke, pickles, oranges and bananas. I ate about 200 calories/45 carbohydrates an hour.


Gear: My Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS Watch battery lasted the whole race so I didn't really need to wear two watches after all! I turned the heart rate monitor off to save the battery and it was only down two bars out of four at the end.


The Not So Great: My race started with a splat! I fell at the 1.05 mile point. Like a fellow runner told me, it's good to get the fall out of the way! (It wasn't a bad fall. I dusted myself off and kept going.) Later, I had a tummy issue at mile 24 and sat on a rock. I really had to make myself get up and move forward, but after a mile, all was well. 


Fire and snacks at the start  - nice!

Overall: This was my 5th ultra, the 3rd 50K I've finished and the hardest course I've ever run. I ran up and around Pass Mountain twice. My favorite part was the first loop when there were more runners near me. I was alone for most of the second loop, but since I train mostly alone - that was okay. I liked seeing the cactus and getting in a nice, long desert run, which is so different from running at home at the park. 

The 3100 feet of climbing and the parts of the rocky trail that I could only walk on was challenging. I had to change my mindset to one of trying to hike as fast as I could instead of running all of it. But I did it and, three days later, I still feel great about finishing that tough course!

Comments

  1. Great job - congratulations on running a tough race! The Phoenix Marathon is actually in Mesa (on the paved roads though) so I know how beautiful that area is. Bummer about the fall -- that happened to me on my long run on Saturday when I slipped on the dirt, and it's just so shocking to be running one second and flat on the ground the next. I'm glad you weren't injured and were able to run many miles after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - it was a shock! It was nice to have others there to laugh it off with me. Hope your fall didn't really hurt much either!

      Delete
  2. Under 8 hours, That So Rocks!! Well Done.


    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting close to the 8 hour mark really did motivate me to keep moving forward. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!!! It sounds like such a tough course! I can't imagine running in the sun in the desert for that long, much less with the mountains added in. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm surprised I'm not sunburned, but I slathered on Banana Boat Sport 50 sunscreen.

      Delete
  4. That is a lot of climbing up! and so warm out. Great job pushing through. Congratulations!!
    I am glad you didn't get busted up in the fall. Pretty awesome your watch held up - it is nice to have the stats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like the stats, but even better than that is knowing the time of day. My watch battery died in my 50 mile race. That made the time go by even slower!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME TINA!!!! I'm sure the warm temps played a big part in how you felt! Sorry to hear you fell but glad it wasn't a bad fall! The two 50k's I did were so tough going up the mountain so I imagined what this one was like for you! I hope you are recovering nicely and enjoying your trip! CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped to think about how I wasn't the only one racing. Hope you had a great marathon. Looking forward to your recap!

      Delete
  7. I'm a little late, but congratulations on your race! That heat and elevation would be tough -- I'm so impressed and inspired! I hope this week's recovery went well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The 50k soreness was over before I knew it. I hiked and ran in Yosemite afterwards without a problem!

      Delete
  8. Congrats Tina ! You conquered it ! I'm too nervous to be much of a trail runner. My very limited experience is filled with way too much worry about getting lost. I do admire people who head out to explore with apparently little fear of getting lost. Well done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been lost a couple of times, but it's not so bad... Now I've run a 50k and a 55k in Arizona and I lost my way both times!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week