Ultrarunning and Leaning to One Side


Have you ever gone for a run and felt your body leaning to one side? During the Brazos Bend 50 Mile raceI had been leaning to the left since mile 30 or so. It didn't hurt, but the farther I ran the more I had to work to keep from leaning left. 

After I finished the race after 9 hours and 55 minutes of running, I was given a chair to rest in and then the race doctor walked with me to my car. By then, I was hardly leaning to one side and I felt normal. When I told him that I often lean left in the later miles of ultras, he said that if I always lean towards the left, I could try a hip stretch to prevent it and that I might be over-compensating for a problem in my lower back/right side. 

My 50 Mile Goals 
  • I will start at an easy pace.
  • When something goes wrong, work through it!
  • There's no giving up! 
All accomplished on race day, 12/10/16!

How I Exercised Last Week 

After completing the Brazos Bend 50 Mile race on Saturday, I eased back into running with 12 miles of running. Running helped to reduce the post-race soreness faster. Besides, it was fun to be running again.

  • Monday - walked Zoe, my Weimaraner
  • Tuesday - 2 mile run, strength-training 30 min.
  • Wednesday - 3 mile run
  • Thursday - 20 minute ride, strength-training 30 min.: arms 
  • Friday - 3 mile run
  • Saturday - 4 mile run, strength-training 30 min.: arms

I'm thankful...
  • to my husband for taking a picture of me modeling the hip stretch that the dr. advised.
  • for the park behind my house where I run (sometimes with my husband and Zoe).
  • that my body is recovering well from my 50 mile trail ultra. 
I'd love to hear about you...

Have you run or ever thought about running an ultra (any distance longer than a marathon)?
Do you have any new running goals for 2017? Or for the end of 2016? 
What are you thankful for this week?

Comments

  1. I noticed during some race pics I tend to lean more to the right. I guess the more tired we become the more the dominant side holds us up. It is good info to know what to work on :)
    Glad to hear you are recovering nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Karen! I couldn't find much information about it online so hearing that you've noticed it too, is helpful.

      Delete
  2. I haven't even done a full, so that's a big no to an ultra! I think even a full would take me a long time (I'm a slow runner).

    That's interesting about the leaning. I don't think I do that, but I know I can slump -- pretty sure that's tied to my core Which is actually pretty strong, but apparently not so much after 10 miles or so.

    I'm thankful that we didn't get as much snow as predicted yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your weather continues to not be as bad as predicted. I work on my core during my strength training sessions like the 30 second side planks I did this week. Good for you on having a strong core!

      Delete
  3. I am so thankful for a healthy happy Boy Dog!! I just happen to have a pretty big running goal in 2017, The Bryce Canyon 50K, taking place in June. I wish all of you a wonderful and productive 2017!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryce Canyon is one of my favorite places! What a fun place for a 50K!

      Delete
  4. GREAT stretch for me to know!!! I've been having left hip pain lately and I know I leaned that way in the marathon in November. My right abductor was hurting so I'm sure I leaned left towards the end. What a great recovery week you have had!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear we have similar problems! Hopefully, the stretch will help. Now if I could only remember to do it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt