Rocky 50K Trail Race in 4 Weeks!



People have been asking me if I'm racing in the Houston Marathon tomorrow since I live close to Houston. I've done Houston and it's fun, but instead of the marathon I signed up for the Rocky 50K trail race! It's held at Huntsville State Park and only about an hour away from home. This will be my 4th 50K race. Here's how I'm getting ready to race.

Train in All Kinds of Weather 

Training in all kinds of weather is great preparation for race day. Last Saturday, it took forever to get ready to run because layering clothes for a 21 degrees run takes time. Then on Thursday, I wore shorts because it was 75 degrees F. when I did my long run.

Fuel for the Long Run

My long run was a 16 miler. For breakfast, I had white rice with a scrambled egg mixed into it, a banana and coffee. During my run, I had a GU gel nearly every 30 minutes starting 30 minutes after I started for a total of 4 gels and a few pretzels, too. That may sound like a lot of gels for a training run, but I want my stomach to get used to taking in plenty of food. That might help me during races.


Tips for Finishing a Long Run

After 3 warm-up miles, I kept running 2 miles hard and 1 mile at an easy pace until I was done. Doing that made the run seem like it went faster. The run took me about 3 hours and I ran at an average of about 11 minute miles. I ran in the woods on a long hill during most of the easy paced miles for a change of scenery from the park loops I normally did. I really wanted to quit in the last 1.5 miles. I think it was the heat. It gets to me after awhile. Listening to music instead of my audio book helped.

How I Exercised this Week

I ran 50 miles and continued my strength training and riding. After most runs/rides, I went on a walk with my dog, too. 

  • Sunday - 7 mile run
  • Monday - 10 mile run, strength-training 
  • Tuesday - 7 mile run with negative splits 
  • Wednesday - 1 hour bike ride, strength-training 
  • Thursday - 16 mile run (I like my Garmin Forerunner 35 & Mizuno Wave Kazan shoes)
  • Friday - 10 mile run with some puddle stomping with my husband, strength-training
  • Saturday - 1 hour bike ride, saw an armadillo and a deer!

Have a great week!

Comments

  1. You always do such a good job of fueling on the run. That is something I need to get better at. I received a variety box of GU for Christmas so perhaps that will help! Good luck with your race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a big box of GU gels, which is great because I like the choices of caffeine, sodium and taste, of course! This week's faves were vanilla and tri-berry.

      Delete
  2. Your mileage is really inspiring! I'm hoping to build back to 50 mpw this spring ... good luck on your 4th 50k!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week