Taking Pics: Joy in the Ordinary



Sometimes I forget to find joy in the ordinary. That's where my new challenge comes in. 

My New 2017 Challenge: Take a Photo a Day 

On New Year's Day, I decided that I wanted to take a picture every day this year so I started an Instagram account and, so far, I've posted a picture of the apple crisp I baked today, my very patient Weimaraner, Zoe, and my husband working on a drone job. (I'm a spotter, making sure the sky is clear.) 

Some days are noticeably special (like Zoe's 12th birthday on New Year's Day), but most days are those good ordinary days that so much of life is made up of. This daily picture goal makes every day a daily treasure hunt.

Two Familiar Challenges: Run 2,017 Miles & Read 100 Books

(1/22/17 Update: New goals alert! Because we may begin full-time RV life this year, my mileage and reading goals may need to be decreased. Here are my revised goals.)

I've done running and reading challenges before and I want to keep them up this year. I'd like to run 2,017 miles this year (last week's post on that) and I want to read or listen to 100 books. I listen to books while I run so this is a two-in-one goal. The first book that I read this year is a good one: Presence by Amy Cuddy. (You can read my GoodReads book reviews here.)

How's it Going? 

So far, I have finished two books, run 43 miles (I need to average 39 miles/week) and put a photo up on Instagram every day. The top photo for this post is a collage of photos that I shared this week on Instagram.

Here's How I Exercised This Week


  • Monday - 9 mile runstrength-training 30 min.
  • Tuesday - 7 mile run
  • Wednesday - rest
  • Thursday - 14 mile run in my shorts using Glukos tablets (tastes like Smarties!), strength-training 20 min.
  • Friday - 9 mile run (colder today)
  • Saturday - planks, 4.5 mile run: even colder today at 21 F (-6 C), I had double layers on most of me and there was ice on the trail 

Finding joy in the ordinary - it's a great way to start the new year!  

Comments

  1. Whew! I'm tired just reading about all that running. :)

    I'm trying to up my photography game a little bit this year -- I don't always have the patience to set them up & try multiple shots, but I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, we'll both have the time and patience this year! I think my new goal will motivate me to learn some new photo taking tricks.

      Delete
    2. When I started my #rustreak Instagram last year, I thought taking a daily pic when running would be a great way to really keep my eyes open for the beauty around me. And it sure was! I rarely listen to music too since I love hearing the birds and nature. :) I will enjoy seeing your pics!
      That cold air is here now for the next couple days. Brrrr~!

      Delete
    3. I need to find you on Instagram!

      Delete
    4. I just realized that I'm following you already! It's been a long week! 😉

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of finding something joyful in the everyday. Good luck with all three of your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I hope I can keep my photo a day goal going without two many repeats. Just as I was about to give up on finding something new on my run today, a birdhouse saved the day!

      Delete
  3. Those are some big goals! 39 miles a week is huge for me, I though about it, but since I am usually in the 20-30 range it would be a stretch! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know if it will work out, but so far, so good!

      Delete
  4. Like Kate above I did a runstreak last year and tried to take a photo a day. It improved my runs. I found myself looking for something pretty -- even on the grayest, dreary days. I read a lot of books, but 2016 was my lowest year yet! I've never hit 100, but I've gotten close. I just started listening to audiobooks again, so maybe I'll join you in this challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to audio books in addition to reading them is the only way I could meet that goal. Congrats on running every day in '16!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up