Downsizing: Less Stuff, More Fun
Since my husband and I are preparing for an extended RV vacation, we're downsizing. If you can't fit all of your clothes into your closet or if your kitchen drawers won't hold one more gadget, you might like to get rid of a few items, too.
We can't have yard sales in our neighborhood so we had to be creative. Here's how I found new homes for our belongings.
1. We sold items.
- Online classifieds. That's how we sold our RV and more. (We're buying a new one.)
- We told our friends that everything must go and they came over. They even told their friends and they came over, too.
- A friend let the music teachers in her music association know that we had a piano for sale.
2. We gave items away.
- Sometimes you can match up friends with things you think they'd like.
- I donated my race medals at a local store. They'll be given to hospitalized children.
- Drop off items at a local charity.
3. We put stuff in the trash can and recycling bin. I didn't really need 20 water bottles.
Two fears often pop up when you're getting rid of things. Maybe you're afraid you'll miss something later. Put those items in a closet and wait a while to see if you can live without them. My biggest fear was that I was afraid we wouldn't be able to get rid of so much stuff, but the whole process has been easier than I thought it would be.
But what about running? Lately, I've enjoyed running on the cooler days and I've sweat it out on the humid ones. I often run 5 days a week. Last week was a cut back week, but this week I hope to ramp up the miles again to 45 for the week. I'm not registered for a race, but I always like to be race-ready. How about you?